Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleeding on OVESTIN - what do I do?  (Read 2612 times)

Rustysmum

Heavy bleeding on OVESTIN - what do I do?
« on: April 09, 2022, 10:46:07 AM »

Further to my previous post about side effects of OVESTIN, i am now having quite a heavy period. I didn’t think this could happen on these creams? I am 3.5 years without a period. Had a hysteroscopy in January following some spotting and was diagnosed with VA. So I know all was fine then. Had really swollen, sore boobs for almost a month now and weepy with heart palps like I had during peri. Was using it twice a week, but have been loading the past three days and this started last night, light at first but now really quite heavy with the odd flood. Never thought I would be going through this again. So tired and sore uterus. Do I stop the loading? Gp not open until Monday, was due a smear that day too! And in any case it is taking three weeks to talk to a GP for non-urgent things at our surgery too. Any advice please?

Haydo

Re: Heavy bleeding on OVESTIN - what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 12:06:18 PM »

I think you should stop using the ovestin and, as you are having a smear test on Monday, you can explain what has happened to the nurse and say you need to speak with a GP urgently as you need advice.   It could be that ovestin just isn’t right for you.  Estriol (weaker than ovestin) wasn’t right for me and caused cramps, breast pain and a light bleed, but I am fine with vagifem and using ovestin externally.  Whatever is going on needs investigating and you certainly shouldn’t wait for 3 weeks to see/speak with a doctor. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 12:24:34 PM by Haydo »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 12:06:50 PM »

You should be referred for a womb scan, within 2 weeks.  Any unexplained bleeding should be check.  Do ring your GP Surgery and send them a e-mail, you shouldn't have to wait !! this wouldn't in my opinion, be 'non urgent'.  Do you have fibroids?

I doubt if it's Ovestin causing problems  :-\.  I've been on it for years without break through bleeding.

Rustysmum

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 01:22:21 PM »

I did have the hysteroscopy at the end of January which ‘lasts’ for 6 months. The only thing that has changed is using the estriolcream/ OVESTIN since then.. So am pretty sure it is that. Will be contacting the Gp surgery open Monday morning but they are still operating a fill in a form and we get back to you. Of course if I am still bleeding I will be unable to have the smear test anyway and will have to postpone so may not get to speak to the nurse then either. Thank you for your replies.

Haydo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 01:53:34 PM »

I think I’d go along for the smear test, even if you can’t have it, just so that you have a first point of contact to get to speak with your doctor.  My surgery is like yours, like trying to get into Fort Knox to see or speak with a doctor, and I did this myself when I had an appointment to see the nurse, as a way of getting seen by the doctor.   Either way I’d leave off the ovestin for the time being.  Let us know how you get on.

Rustysmum

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »

Thanks Haydo I will keep you posted.

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 09:31:42 AM »

With you having cramps and sore breasts it does sound hormonal rather than anything sinister but you will need to be sent for tests, at least a scan to check the lining of the uterus. Although Ovestin doesnt normally cause bleeding and it could just be coincidence best get checked out asap.
As Haydo said go to your smear anyway,you're in then and let them sort it from there.
Just looked at Ovestin side effects and does include bleeding.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 09:37:19 AM by Dierdre »

Rustysmum

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 06:43:11 PM »

Just a quick update. spoke to a GP at our surgery who said she knew nothing about OVESTIN. But she did do an emergency referral and I have an appointment next Wednesday at the gynaecology dept of our local hospital.

Haydo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 07:13:23 PM »

Good to hear you have managed to speak with a GP and been referred with regard to the bleeding.  Find it concerning that  a GP is saying they know nothing about ovestin though!  Hope all goes well.  Do let us know how you get on.

Rustysmum

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 07:19:12 AM »

Have to admire her honesty! ;D : ;D

Rustysmum

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 10:40:44 AM »

Quick update. Hysteroscopy revealed a polyp which was removed and now sent for testing. Consultant not happy that GP had swopped repeat prescription to Ovestin as he said it was too strong and also sending me for urgent MRI to check on fibroids. Keeping my fingers crossed it is nothing nasty xxx