Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Starting hrt patches…what to expect?  (Read 677 times)

BFGs Girl

• First Flush
Starting hrt patches…what to expect?
« on: March 28, 2022, 04:45:20 PM »

Hello, this is my first post so please excuse if it is in the wrong place.
I am 53 & been on Cerazette for years. I have been having flushes for 3yrs & all symptoms are bareable except for overthinking which is leading me to feeling anxious. I decided to explore Hrt, primarily to feel better with this. My libido is very high & no issues in that dept so I’m actually a bit concerned incase hrt affects me negatively! I haven’t bled on Cerazette so I don’t know if I will bleed when I come off or when I start hrt…my plan I think is to have a couple of months off Cerazette & then if my hormones still feel a mess then go on the patches…I’m really nervous incase they make me feel worse. Drs just say everyone is different & they don’t know. I feel very conflicted. Is Hrt always a good thing? Am I likely to have bleeding or it affect me sexually adversely? Am I wise having a break between Cerazette & hrt? Any thoughts please xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Starting hrt patches…what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 05:49:22 PM »

Hi!  I don't know if you need to stop the contraceptive. 

HRT is different and there are several ways of delivering it.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Every one is different but that shouldn't stop GPs giving advice!

Hopefully someone with knowledge will be along.  U could ask your GP to refer U to an NHS Menopause Clinic, not a gynaecologist.

Dawnp

Re: Starting hrt patches…what to expect?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 05:57:01 PM »

This is a really tricky question to answer because everyone reacts so differently to hrt. It hasn’t been great for me but other people find it fantastic. I was also on Cerazette for many years. If your hot flushes are bearable but anxiety is the problem you could try to tackle the anxiety separately. Alternatively you could try the hrt and stop if it doesn’t suit. Just as a side note, the menopause clinic told me I could stay on cerazette (or Cerelle) at a double dose, and use that as the progesterone element of hrt; and add in estrogen.
I think it really depends if I you feel your symptoms are manageable without hrt or not.