Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Self-medicating  (Read 1178 times)

Peana

Self-medicating
« on: March 28, 2022, 11:27:45 AM »

I've had the mirena coil for a month now and been on the lowest dose of Estradot for 3 weeks.  I was due to review progress with my GP after a month, but I can't get an appointment with her (or any of the other surgery GPs) for 2 weeks (but I can't book that far ahead!).  I'm due to have a smear test next week, but at the moment my vagina is very sore and dry and I can't bear the thought of it being poked about.  I've spent a long time looking into my symptoms and I think the dryness is due to the Progesterone (I also have dry eyes and a dry mouth), as I didn't have it before.  I'm due a new 25microgram patch tomorrow, and I know that more estrogen will help with the dryness symptoms, so I'm thinking of just sticking on 2 patches in the hope that it addresses the dryness and I'm okay to have my smear test done. Am I being foolish in self-medicating like this, or should I just reschedule the smear test?  I haven't had one in a while due to covid, so would prefer not to go down this route if I can help it.

I also wondered if I could get vaginal oestrogen cream over the counter at the pharmacy, but I'm in Scotland and I'm not sure that it's approved here.  Does anyone know?

I'd been interested in your thoughts and advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Self-medicating
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 11:37:12 AM »

Hi.  Sounds like vaginal atrophy which can be improved by either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin'.  We have threads on the subject so do read.  Make notes.  I don't think either can be bought OTC?

Welcome.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out, including the vaginal area.

Let us know how you get on?

Peana

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 12:24:02 PM »

Thanks, yes, I'd read a lot about VA on the forums over the weekend - annoyingly I'd had no symptoms until I started HRT (but it has helped so much in other ways).  I was all prepared to ask the GP for vaginal oestrogen,  but then on phoning the surgery this morning found I couldn't get an appointment which threw me. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 12:31:49 PM »

Hello Peana and welcome to the forum. How frustrating you cannot get a GP appointment. When I could not get an appointment I ended up buying vagifem from an online pharmacy as I was in so much discomfort. I can understand you wanting to increase the Estradot. I think it can take time to get used to it so I am not sure if it may be too early to increase. I guess it depends if you are having any side effects. When I first started on 25 I had sore breasts and swollen feet and ankles. I had to get used to increasing it slowly.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »

3 weeks is early - mayB keep a mood/food/syptom diary to chart progress re the HRT.

You should be able to ring your surgery and ask for 'vagifem' to be left for you, you don't need an exam or blood tests.  Is there a Nurse Practitioner you could speak with? 

Peana

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 05:41:35 PM »

I hadn't thought of that, great idea.  I'll try phoning again in the morning.  They are normally very helpful at the surgery, so I'm hopeful they might be able to help if I explain the situation.  Thanks for your advice everyone.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 05:44:10 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

Peana

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 12:49:30 PM »

Well, I finally managed to get through to reception at 0910, and explained things again.  I got a phone consultation this morning and the GP was very helpful.  She wants me to stick with my existing regime a bit longer to give my hormones more of a chance to settle down as this will have changed the pH of my vagina and might be part of the problem.  When I go next week for my smear test and coil check the nurse is going to take a swab in case there is a persistent infection, and also a blood test for sjogrens syndrome (I had 3 saliva stones last year, and lots of other symptoms, so this feels like the most likely cause of my dryness).  I'm still a bit sore (definitely not normal), but I feel a lot more re-assured.

Thanks for your advice.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 12:57:54 PM »

I am so pleased to hear you got an appointment and are feeling more reassured.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 02:07:28 PM »

Bet you a bar of chocolate that it is atrophy !

Your GP is remiss in not prescribing treatment at once.  Why does she think that the HRT will have changed the pH ?  There shouldn't be a need for a swab test  :-\.  Hey ho!

Put foot down with firm hand for appropriate VA treatment.  Do read the vaginal atrophy thread, make notes ;-). Also 'me and my menopausal vagina' written by a Member of the Forum because GPs really don't get it!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »

That'll be Black Magic please  ;)

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 05:08:42 PM »

As the others have said treatment for atrophy will really help, I use ovestin and it’s really good.

Also, as you have a mirena which protects the lining of the womb you are safe to take a higher dose of oestrogen, which should also help. A 50 patch is an average dose. Don’t be scared to push for that if your symptoms don’t improve x