Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Chicken Soup anyone?  (Read 1623 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Chicken Soup anyone?
« on: March 27, 2022, 12:16:05 PM »

I've read a few Jewish recepies but they don't seem much different to what my Paternal Grandma made.   :-\

Any advice ............ off to make some hot Bovril with toast.

ElkWarning

Re: Chicken Soup anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »

I love chicken soup ... Although I don't believe it has any religious connotations, more a kind of national flavour.  We don't tend to use celeriac in the UK, and we kind of think of soup as a liquid, other styles of cuisines it's more of a broth, i.e. watery stock with whole chunks, if that makes sense. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 02:34:53 PM »

It is certainly a big part of Jewish cooking.  It turns out, once strained as a clear soup with/without the veg..  Which can be kept to add to other meals. 

C.C.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 04:40:06 PM »

Chicken soup here is usually chicken noodle soup, made with chicken broth with added carrots, celery and onion, pieces of diced or shredded chicken and large egg noodes.  I usually make it when someone in the family is feeling sick and wants something hot and comforting.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »

Oh do share ?  Grandma would boil bones >stinky++< and produce a clear soup for anyone feeling queasy.  Not me I have to add  :o.  For the others she would add pre-boiled veg.. 

C.C.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 05:37:11 PM »

It's so easy.  I just saute diced carrot, celery and a small white onion in a bit of oil with maybe some minced garlic, salt and pepper.  Then I add the chicken broth and already cooked chicken (thigh meat is best) and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Then throw in the noodles, could be egg noodles or pasta and then simmer until the noodles are cooked. The whole soup is done in about half an hour on the stove top. :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 05:40:51 PM »

Sounds yummy.  We did that chicken recipe years ago - using soup then eating the bird with roasted veg..  Probably has a name which has left my brain  ::). Coq ur van?

C.C.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »

Coq au Vin, you mean? ;D 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 05:48:36 PM »

that's him  ;D

A bit of a phaff to be perfectly honest, probably why we did it once.  I prefer the roast dinner first, then left overs made into soup ;-).  I have Chef tha' knows  8)