Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Clots  (Read 2045 times)

Ebonybones

Clots
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:52:36 PM »

Hi, at the age of 34 I started getting menopause symptoms, it wasn’t until I was 36 I was finally given an FSH blood test which showed my levels were 91. I was then put on a high dose hrt patch and a progesterone tablet to be taken 12 days a month to give me a period because of my age, I was told once I got to 50 I could stop hrt

Fast forward I get to the age of 46 and start getting heavy periods after I finish the progesterone tablets

I’m now 48 and for the last 5 months have been getting big blood clots in my period, heavy periods. I told the dr and she’s sending me for an internal ultrasound

Has anyone else experienced clots ?

I told the dr I want to come off hrt so I don’t have a period and she said I can’t have the hrt that’s given to post menopausal women as I’m not old enough

But I hate having a forced period especially now I’m getting clots

Uptick

Re: Clots
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 12:06:25 PM »

Hi Ebonybones and welcome to the forum. The heavy periods with clots are common in perimenopause and although you have been on patches for a long time it seems that you are in perimenopause. When you had that FSH test, have you been diagnosed with primary ovarian insufficiency? Were you still having periods? Which patches are you using?

I suppose you could ask for a Mirena coil to stop the heavy bleeding. It's possible that coming off HRT wouldn't stop them if you're in perimenopause.

Ebonybones

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 10:24:40 PM »

Hi

When I had the fsh blood test because my levels were so high they said it was premature ovarian failure as I was only in my mid 30’s but with the levels being so high they said they were the same as someone who had been through the menopause

I was originally bleeding every 16 days for 10 days so felt like I was always on my period. This is when they prescribed hrt patches along with progesterone tablets for 12 days a month, the patches I’ve been on for 13 years are Estradot 100

Since my post my drs advised me to stop hrt for a month to see what happens, I stopped it on Monday and today have started spotting

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 10:26:01 AM »

Your womb is cleansing itself.  MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease first.  I had very painful periods with clots for years, it was something that I accepted.  MayB there wasn't treatment in the 1960s/70s  :-\

Let us know how you get on. 

Ebonybones

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 11:57:52 PM »

Since I’ve stopped hrt I am waking up with hot flushes on my chest which don’t really bother me

I’d rather have those than a heavy period with clots

Good to know this spotting is Normal

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »

The scan be show a reason for the clots, you could have a fibroid or polyp which is causing it. A conti regime is suitable for anyone who is meno (1 year without a bleed), it doesn't matter if you're 30 or 70. Given your history I would think there's little doubt you're meno.

Ebonybones

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »

Yes I’ve never gone without a period for over a year it’s just the dr said my fsh levels were so high

I’ve been on sequi hrt, I hope I don’t have fibroids

Ebonybones

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 11:36:51 PM »

I forgot to mentioned I was diagnosed with POF at the age of 36

High fsh & LH and low progesterone
Which has put me into early menopause
The scan be show a reason for the clots, you could have a fibroid or polyp which is causing it. A conti regime is suitable for anyone who is meno (1 year without a bleed), it doesn't matter if you're 30 or 70. Given your history I would think there's little doubt you're meno.