Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How to move from conti to sequi?  (Read 753 times)

Sfifties

How to move from conti to sequi?
« on: March 27, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »

Hello ladies,
This might be a strange question but please read through it will make some sense!
49 started hrt 5 months ago , dr suggested conti regime as i had no periods for 10-11 months prior.
I am currently on 3 pumps of oestrogel and utrogestan vaginally every night.
I was expecting some breakthrough bleeding as common in the first 6 months but after 5 months i find myself having what feels and look like proper periods every 2-3 weeks and physically and mentally i am finding it exhausting.

These feel like proper periods preceded by a week of pms ( especially irritability, strong cramps , bloating) like when i used to get periods when younger .
I don’t understand if i am on continuos progesterone so no drop or withdrawal why am i getting pms like when i used to have a real period since my oestrogen and progesterone level are even and constant throughout the month?
Is this normal this is not simple breakthrough bleeding to me .
I am doubtful that this will stop in my 6th month, has anyone been in the same situation and things have suddenly settled ?
I am now thinking that the solution might be to move to a sequential regime and this is where i have no idea on how to start.
From reading here sequi would involve to take oestrogel only and then on day 15-26 utrogestan double dose ( 2 capsules vaginally), but since my bleeding is very unpredictable and quite often i do not know when to start the  utrogestan part .
I was thinking of starting on the first day of the month with oestrogel only and then counting from there and start utrogestan on day 15-26 , would that be an option ?
Would i then  expect a predictable period  like every month ? And when ?
And given that some months have more days than others would i continue like this counting day 15-26 for utro from day 1 of each month regardless of how many days in month ?
I just don’t want to mess things more…

Thanks for reading and any advice is really appreciated. Thanks

Nas

Re: How to move from conti to sequi?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 09:18:04 AM »

Yes, in the exact same boat as you!

I went 11 months with no period before starting on the conti regime of gel and utrogestan. After 14 months I stopped as it was a faff and not working ( still no bleed)

Then, I started patches
Bang, the bleeds hit me every  2/3 weeks, with pms, pain, bloating, the lot.

I had scans and biopsies, which were clear. This went on for 13 months until I could take no more.

You have two options I think.

1. Switch to a sequential regime as you have suggested. That should give you a more predicable bleed each month.

2. Have a Mirena coil fitted

I’ve done neither and swapped to lower dose oral Hrt. I’ve already had a bleed from that ( but did add extra oestrogen via a spray so am hoping that’s the cause! If I bleed regularly on this tablet, I’ve no idea what to do as I don’t want regular periods again ( or a coil)

I feel your frustration totally.

Good luck. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:23:01 AM by Nas »

Sfifties

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM »

Hi Nas , thanks you for replying.
Yes the sequential regime might be the answer i can put up with a bleed a month rather what i am going through now it’s just too much .
Do u think that starting every 1st of the month and then counting from there with the  utro seems the correct way to start since no regular bleeding?
Or then after i start a regular monthly bleeding i should start counting the start of utro differently?
I have a copper coil that should be removed next year so not considering the mirena ( also trying to avoid more “permanent “ solution ) .
The other option i was thinking of trying is switching progesterone and trying provera , it just seem that too many of us  bleed on utrogestan.
It must have been so worrying going through all the scan / biopsies
I only asked for it as i wanted to start with a body identical but reading here it seems not fit for many .
Would be useful to hear from others who  can lighten me on sequi regime ( when to start utro etc) or anybody who has switched to provera and if thst worked out . Thanks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:46:27 AM by Sfifties »

Nas

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 10:16:40 AM »

I think Taz has moved from conti to sequi, due to irregular bleeding. Maybe track her down on here?

Yes, norethistone is meant be be a good bleed controller. Could be worth a shot?

Utrogestan isn’t fit for purpose in my view. Plus no progesterone is ever completely body identical.

If it were me, I would start from the 1st of each month with the utrogestan. Your body will hopefully fall into a pattern then.