Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sore & Dry Throat Voice sounds hoarse  (Read 2002 times)

Clare1974

Sore & Dry Throat Voice sounds hoarse
« on: March 27, 2022, 07:49:52 AM »

Hello All since Thursday evening I have barely slept with a very sore dry throat with a cough sometimes fever my voice is very hoarse at first i thought it was just a cold but with a bit of research i understand menopause could be what it is.
As anyone else had or got these symptoms I feel like crap no energy. I have drunk and gargled but to no avail I have work tomorrow and I use the phone for my main role I cannot go in with my voice as it is.
I have taken various covid tests and it is not covid, maybe it is just a virus or something. I do not want to be thinking every ailment i have is linked to the menopause
Any help or advice would be welcome
Thank you

Turkish delight

Re: Sore & Dry Throat Voice sounds hoarse
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 08:00:26 AM »

Hia,

It's a real pest, sorry you are suffering.
I have an extremely dry mouth mostly at night these days. The word dry doesn't even cover it tbh, it's like the Sahara in there, it wakes me up gasping and sneezing. It's not caused by sleeping with an open mouth as I don't. It's deeper down dryness. Apparently, the meno/lack of estrogen dries the mucus membranes in your nose, throat ect. Some have dry eyes too.

Sine starting hrt 4 years ago it has helped. I used to get a dry throat all day, it was very severe. I had to chew gum the whole time just to be able to speak.
You can buy saliva spray from boots, sounds disgusting I know but it's not so bad, It's supposed to coat the mouth with a membrane to help with the dryness. it didn't help with my issue but may help you. Nightmare.
Are you on hrt?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:27:17 AM by Turkish delight »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:45:35 AM »

There are also pastilles specifically for dry mouth, other medications can cause the effect - my Aunt found them very useful in the 1990s.  MayB have a lookC on line or speak to your pharmacist tomorrow?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 10:17:49 AM »

Hello Claire 1974 and welcome to the forum.

I don't have experience of this myself but I know of several people who have had your symptoms and had negative COVID tests. One person had a cough for weeks and is now taking anti biotics and feeling much better. Perhaps you just have a virus at the moment but it would be wise to keep testing and talk to your doctor if your cough persists.

Turkish delight - Can I ask you how you know that you don't sleep with your mouth open at night? I understand that some people place tape over their lips to make them breathe through their nose and to stop snoring.

Take care ladies.

K.

Turkish delight

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 10:33:51 AM »

Hia K,

Well my husband is a witness to the no open mouth sleeping thingy. Also I get it quite often when I'm laying there still awake with my mouth closed.
It's a hard one to describe, bcz my mouth can feel normal, as in not too dry but somewhere in the sinuses at the back of the throat and nose is dry and causes sneezing and gasping for breath at times.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 11:09:48 AM »

Antibiotics should never be given for a virus.  Sipping drinks can ease symptoms until you get to a Pharmacist.  I buy those sweets in tins ? travel sweets ? which do help. 

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »

Hello again Turkish delight

Ah yes, husbands do have their uses sometimes lol.

Perhaps your issues are more sinus related? I think there are some videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to clear sinuses, maybe worth a look.

Take care.

K.

Turkish delight

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 06:43:32 PM »

"Ah yes, husbands do have their uses sometimes lol." Your funny, made me laugh  :lol:

I do use a netty pot to clear sinuses, they are good especially if you have a cold.

TD

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 06:55:10 PM »

Hi Clare 1974. If you have a fever then it's not related to menopause. My son has a similar virus causing sore dry throat, dry cough and fever. Two other friends have also been off work with this. All covid tests negative.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 10:04:02 PM »

If only menopause was like that too...  ;D

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 08:14:26 AM »

There's a nasty virus going round at the moment, I'm currently off work with it. Sore throat, chesty cough etc  Been doing LFT every day, all negative.  I actually feel more ill with this than when I had Covid.  There will be more of the old viruses going around again now as we stop wearing masks and all restrictions have lifted. Apart from Covid this is my first illness since March 2020.

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 04:59:46 PM »

Maybe try a PCR, it seems the lateral flows aren't always picking it up.