Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newson clinic Utrogestan 100 alternate nights Regimen  (Read 2222 times)

Me and the Pause

Newson clinic Utrogestan 100 alternate nights Regimen
« on: March 02, 2022, 07:52:49 PM »

So I’ve been on HRT for approximately 3 years. 3 months ago my GP at the time (who incidentally works at Newson Clinic) told me that being 52 and having been on HRT for over 3 years it’s assumed that I am post menopausal. I used to be on 150 Everol and 200 Utrogestan virginally and sequentially (as per Womens Hospital)
I did quite well on that routine. My periods were regular. Though at times I wondered whether the utrogestan was making me a little low in mood. Anyhow, I was changed to Utrogestan  100 every other night consecutively. I have been on this regimen for 3 months and have actually had days of proper bleed (last full bleed beginning of Feb) followed by spotting. Unfortunately my prescribing GP has now left my practice.
My question is anyone else on every other night? I know the standard is 100 every night. Do you have any reference papers I could read re this new way of prescribing. Speaking to my GP this afternoon she is referring me for scans and wants me to stop ALL HRT until I’ve been seen :-\.
Does anyone have any experience/advice for me? Thank you 🙏

Dawnp

Re: Newson clinic Utrogestan 100 alternate nights Regimen
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 10:31:01 AM »

There is a fact sheet on the Newson Clinic website about progesterone intolerance. You can use it vaginally every other night if you are post menopausal.
I am doing this. Unfortunately I am now discovering its giving me bad anxiety on the days I’m using it, but I suspect it doesn’t affect many people like that.

NicolaJ

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »

My GP has recently put me on alternate nights of 100mg. However, this is causing awful bloating and bleeding so I've now stopped this and am going back to a cyclical regime. It is well documented on all Newson publications that alternate nights is absolutely fine. Could you print and take to the new GP.

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 11:15:14 AM »

I tried the alternative night regime but couldn’t tolerate it. I would feel dreadful halfway through the day off x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 11:05:22 PM »

If you're still peri you will bleed on a conti regime. Some women aren't meno until their early 60s so it's a bit of an assumption you are meno at 52. For many peri will last longer than 3 years.
If you were on a low/medium dose of oestrogen using utro every other night may be OK but on your high dose I think it's a bit risky. The manufacturer says 100mg daily regardless of delivery method and I would assume they have done more testing than Newson.
I think the most likely scenario is that you're still peri and it might be best to revert to the sequi regime that suited you for 3 years.

Me and the Pause

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 09:39:25 PM »

I’m sorry I haven’t replied, but I ended up being fast tracked and had an Ultra Sound, which identified a lining of 12.8mm!!!!
Needless to say I was sent for hysteroctopy  and biopsy. It was horrendous because they said I had a narrow cervical something. I had to stay in a recovery room for about 2 hours I felt so poorly.
Anyhow have got biopsy results and thankfully it’s clear.

I’m not feeling confident my GP knows what to do as she’s giving me options of whether to continue on a traditional continuous regime or go back to sequential. She said maybe I am still in peri menopause, and the lining is that thick as part of a normal cycle 🤷‍♀️
When she said this I asked for an FSH test, as I’ve been off all my HRT for about 4 weeks. So I’ve got that next week.
It’s really messed me around this.
My main concern is how do I get my lining to get down to <5mm. I haven’t had a bleed ironically for a couple of weeks. Does  anyone have experience of reducing their lining quickly?
I’m not sure I should be writing this here or on a fresh thread sorry. 

Perinowpost

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 08:53:45 AM »

A course of noresthisterone would strip your lining in the short term. You don’t have to stay on it continuously as it is the harshest of progesterones x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 09:28:15 AM »

12.8 is a good deal less frightening if you're peri and it's before a bleed. I would go back on the sequi regime (12 days x 200mg) which should keep the lining thin . The build up may have been caused by the lack of proper bleeding on the conti regime with insufficient utro. I don't know how much research Newson has done for low dose utro at high oestrogen doses, the manufacturer is likely to have done more and perhaps found cases where the lining builds up.
 You could ask if you can have a scan after 6 months on sequi and time it for just after your bleed.

Dawnp

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 10:28:30 AM »

Hi Me and the Pause. I have just posted a thread about progesterone levels that are required for higher doses of estrogen because I am really worried about my own situation, given what you have said. I hope you can resolve it as you seem to have got some helpful from replies from the lovely ladies here.
Would you mind if I ask you a question unrelated to the progesterone?
You said you had to stop your hrt while waiting for your scan.
I feel like I may need to do the same now. Can I ask how you felt after stopping your hrt suddenly?

Sid

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »

Hi, I recently was referred for hysteroscopy due to a lining of 7mm.  I had been on a sequential regime taking Utrogestan for 12 days each cycle (a continuous regime did not work for me and caused breakthrough bleeding).  Everything was okay and I recently had a Mirena fitted and no bleeding so far x

Me and the Pause

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 10:34:26 PM »

A course of noresthisterone would strip your lining in the short term. You don’t have to stay on it continuously as it is the harshest of progesterones x

My GP didn’t give me this option. I’ll take a note and discuss with her. Thank you

Me and the Pause

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 10:39:56 PM »

12.8 is a good deal less frightening if you're peri and it's before a bleed. I would go back on the sequi regime (12 days x 200mg) which should keep the lining thin . The build up may have been caused by the lack of proper bleeding on the conti regime with insufficient utro. I don't know how much research Newson has done for low dose utro at high oestrogen doses, the manufacturer is likely to have done more and perhaps found cases where the lining builds up.
 You could ask if you can have a scan after 6 months on sequi and time it for just after your bleed.

Yes I really hope I’m still peri now 🤦‍♀️
Thank you for your advice last time as this prompted me to ask for my FSH. My GP seems to not be that concerned about the 12.8!!!! I like your plan of going sequi and then rescanning. Though not sure I can hold out 6 months — maybe 3 😆 xx

Me and the Pause

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 10:50:41 PM »

Hi Me and the Pause. I have just posted a thread about progesterone levels that are required for higher doses of estrogen because I am really worried about my own situation, given what you have said. I hope you can resolve it as you seem to have got some helpful from replies from the lovely ladies here.

Would you mind if I ask you a question unrelated to the progesterone?
You said you had to stop your hrt while waiting for your scan.
I feel like I may need to do the same now. Can I ask how you felt after stopping your hrt suddenly?

I’ll take a read of your post x
Actually I haven’t felt as horrendous as I thought I would, I have an under active thyroid and cortisol issues so was concerned. I even dropped a couple of pouNds since being off and I look less puffy 🤷‍♀️ Today was the first day I felt really sleepy and tired and I’m thinking my mood may be starting a decline? But it’s been manageable. I’ve been doing my barre sessions almost daily for the past week so that’s been fine Maybe because I was on a higher dose and it was still in my system. Oh I also felt my memory wasn’t great again… had reviewed my daughters homework one night and she’d rewritten some parts - I honestly couldn’t remember reviewing most of what she had written. I know I definitely want to get back on soon

Me and the Pause

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 10:53:04 PM »

Hi, I recently was referred for hysteroscopy due to a lining of 7mm.  I had been on a sequential regime taking Utrogestan for 12 days each cycle (a continuous regime did not work for me and caused breakthrough bleeding).  Everything was okay and I recently had a Mirena fitted and no bleeding so far x

Oh this is good news. It seems like going back to the old regime will sort it out. Glad all good with you now xx