Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT and panic  (Read 1053 times)

Dawnp

HRT and panic
« on: March 26, 2022, 11:03:08 AM »

I am in desperate need of some advice. I have been using increasing doses of hrt for eight months and am now in a really bad way with constant anxiety and panic attacks. I am woken by panic in the morning and have butterflies in my stomach constantly. I was originally using 175 Conti patches but was then changed to estrogen only patches and Utrogestan every other day by Newson Clinic. Couldn’t tolerate the Utrogestan and haven’t taken it for four days now. My gp gave me Provera instead which I haven’t started yet. So I currently only have the 175 patches on (reduced from 200) I am in such a bad way now I can’t cope. I don’t think the anxiety and panic were quite this bad on the Conti patches previously but my heat symptoms weren’t good, which is why they were increased from the original 50 dose over time. I am also burning up on the inside -rather than hot flushes - for hours. Which has always been the problem, regardless of patch dose.  Please can anyone advise. Is it the lack of progesterone, or the amount of estrogen? I am scared and desperate.

Suzysheep

Re: HRT and panic
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 12:42:57 PM »

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much. It’s just the pits isn’t it!
I’m sorry I haven’t got any advice, but I just wanted to let you know that your not alone in feeling like this. I have suffered awful anxiety because of hormones.
If I were you I would drop the clinic an email or phone call explaining how bad things have got for you.

Have you been given any anxiety medication? X

Other more knowledgeable members will be able to advise, but all I can offer is a virtual hug

Dawnp

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 01:25:09 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply. I remember seeing some of your other posts about your own reaction to hrt and I feel like I might be similar to you. My symptoms before hrt were really severe but now they are just as severe. Do you mind if I ask you what sort of effect the hrt had on you?
I’m not on anti anxiety meds at the moment but am about to start Lamotrigine which may help. Have been seeing a neurologist for another issue and he hopes this will help not only with the severe prolonged heat but also with my nervous system. x

VictoryV

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 06:47:13 PM »

Hi Dawn, have you tried any other delivery systems or just the patch? Was there anytime, since starting HRT, that you felt better than you feel now?
Have you tried a day off HRT and if so how did you feel?
I’ve not had symptoms like yours so sorry I’ve not got any answers.

Suzysheep

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 08:42:29 PM »

Dawn… the HRT made me have heavy bleeding, swollen sore breasts and it really affected me mentally. I developed awful noise sensitivity to the point of certain noises giving me physical panic attacks. I also felt psychotic! I felt nasty and spiteful and everything pissed me off!!!
After taking the patch off, within a week or two I was plunged into extreme anxiety and I had suicidal thoughts constantly.
It was a very traumatic experience… something I never want to go through again! X