Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Urine culture back. Can anyone help?  (Read 1756 times)

jessieblue

Re: Urine culture back. Can anyone help?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 11:37:53 AM »

So I still have some mild symptoms.  I took another test in to the doctor's and they have sent it off again.  She is giving me a longer course of trimethoprim now.  She said there were still some leukocytes and a trace of protein in my urine, but that it showed sensitivity to all of the antibiotics in the msu.  I am so gutted.  Why do they give 3 days if it isn't long enough to kill the infection?

I am now back to being terrified I get c difficile. 

If it is sensitive to macrobid, why didn't it  kill the infection?  My symptoms felt better pretty quickly.  Does this mean the bacteria will be resistant to macrobid now?

Sorry to keep posting, I am really struggling at the moment. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »

Your Surgery doesn't seem 2 B taking your symptoms seriously.  Changing the AB probably won't help long term if it isn't dedicated to treating the particular 'bug' which your urine has grown.  Also a dip stick cannot show which bug is growing  :-\ - the Lab has already shown that, hence the prescription for Macrobid.  Leukocytes and protein are 'normal' in most samples. 

The symptoms you describe will have eased with the ABs.  Did U take any pain relief because the bladder may feel irritable for several days after stopping the course of treatment.

Ring and ask for a referral to a urologist.  Also, eat plenty of LIVE yoghurt which will cleanse the digestive tract from top to bottom, helping good bacteria to form which ABs may have stripped out.  I eat a large tablespoon several times a day when symptoms niggle.  Not mixed with anything, off the spoon.  When my dog has chemotherapy she suffered reflux, o she enjoyed licking it too ;-)

Do some deep breathing because shallow breathing increases anxiety levels. 

jessieblue

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »

Thanks CLKD.  The surgery have been very nice to be fair.  I think they are just following their protocols.  The nurse today did say she has sent this sample off as well, so I guess that will tell what bug is growing now.  I assume she is treating the bug from last week's sample.  She said it was sensitive to all the antibiotics.  I did take ibuprofen the first few days when the pain was worse, but since then symptoms are mild, just some irritation and pressure when I need to go.  I will try taking some more ibuprofen and try waiting it out until the sample result comes back.  That way I will know if I really need these antibiotics.

6 months ago when I had the last UTI after having campylobacter, I also had lingering symptoms.  I held off taking the second course then too and the MSU came back negative.  I do have a super sensitive bladder and health anxiety that makes me super aware of every sensation.  I think that is why I get in such a state.  I don't really trust myself.  My anxiety plays tricks on me and then I get really sick and the two cross over somewhere.  It really sucks living with HA.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »

It certainly does. There's no logic to anxiety  >:(

Keep taking pain relief as it will relax the spincter as the flow shuts off.  In other words, the ABs should work on this particular bug, I think it unlikely that you have more than 1 growing there.  When you speak with her next, ask to be referred to a urologist to make sure that the infection isn't embedded. 

Get some sunshine too  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]