Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urine culture back. Can anyone help?  (Read 1755 times)

jessieblue

Urine culture back. Can anyone help?
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:51:16 PM »

Hello everyone, following on from my post the other day I received my urine culture result back which showed infection and that macrobid would treat it, which was what they had given me.

I am feeling really anxious that just 3 days might not be enough to clear the infection, but they insist this is adequate.  Last time I had this I still had symptoms afterwards, but the test came back clear.  I assume it is just some sensitivity that I might be experiencing as same thing is happening now.

CLKD, if you are around, I know you have experience with utis. 

I am so afraid of getting the infection back and having to have more antibiotics.  Is there anything else I can do to help myself.  I am taking d mannose and multigyn actigel daily, drinking a lot more water and eating kefir and live yoghurt.

Thanks for reading.  I know I am amongst friends here and always get support.  You guys are amazing. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Urine culture back. Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 03:54:39 PM »

Sometimes we need 5-7 days of an AB.  Have they asked 4 further samples regarding whether the AB works/not? 

Also consider if you have vaginal atrophy as well, because urine infection-type symptoms mimic VA really, really well.  Ring and ask for VA treatment to see whether that eases symptoms should they remain following the treatment.

I use 'nurofen' 2 capsules 3 times a day to ease the need2P feelings.  Probably for 2 days.

Gracie

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »

Agree with CLKD, check out for vaginal atrophy. Its a nasty and devious condition and no harm in trying treatment for it.

jessieblue

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 04:33:59 PM »

Why do they give 3 days only?  Its seems madness.  Now I will have to do another culture to get more antibiotics which means the infection can come back badly in that time.  It took a week to get my results back.

They have booked me in for a smear test and to discuss vaginal oestrogen, but that is not for another month.  This is why I am so worried, what if the infection hasn't gone?  Will I have to have stronger antibiotics?

Gracie

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 04:56:37 PM »

All this waiting around when you will most likely be given a prescription for Vagifem or Ovestin, or both because I bet its Vaginal Atrophy that is causing your infections in the first place. D-Mannose is great for keeping the bladder clean so you are doing all the right things yourself.
3 days is not always enough to clear an infection and 7 days being better.

Could you not just ask for a prescription for Vaginal Atrophy treatment, with your history you should get one easily and the sooner you start the better as treatment takes a long time to work, perhaps its time to be more assertive with your surgery, a month to wait is ridiculous!   

Keep us up to date and I hope your anxiety eases.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »

Three days might sort it as you know that Macrobid is the right one for the infection. Keep up with all you are doing especially drinking the water.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 06:07:40 PM »

Do not wait if you continue with symptoms as sometimes infections can become embedded.  Hopefully as Taz mentioned, the ABs may work well this time. 

pepperminty

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 07:21:11 PM »

Hi,

UTI's are dreadful to have. The advice and Nice guidelines are outdated.

3 days of antibiotics are not enough to kill the bug and they can become resistant in some. You can get them online at boots pharmacy without a prescription, to top up if needed.

Have a look at this website and get clued up on the facts. Try not to worry, and be firm with your GP. This is routine to them and they forget how awful it can feel.
Use estriol cream nightly on the skin outside and consider HRT which can help the the symptoms. Cut out sugar and look at female probiotics . All this can help.

https://cutic.co.uk/what-is-chronic-uti/

PMxx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »

Hi,

You can get them online at boots pharmacy without a prescription, to top up if needed.

PMxx

Just want to say that for older people the online service is not available. Think it must be if you are over 60  :-\

jessieblue

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »

Thank you for your replies. 

Pepperminty, when you say the guidelines are outdated?  I am so confused beacuse when I first had a uti some 12 years ago I was given 10 days of ciprofloxacin!  Then I was given a week of trimethoprim and once a week of macrobid.  Fast forward a few years to now and its a standard 3 days of macrobid or trimethoprim.  I have been reading and apparently they have shown that 3 days will work as well as a 7 day course if it is the right antiobiotic!  Who do we believe?

To be honest I would rather take a short course, but of course thats no good if it doesn't work.  I will not get more antibiotics without another culture.  Last time my second culture came back negative and so I just continued with d mannose and symptoms gradually eased.  Its very confusing as I have such bad anxiety, I get bladder irritation from anxiety alone and I have to try not to panic and think that it is a uti when its not.

What happened to women before the use of antibiotics in the 40s?  Women must have still got cystitis I imagine.  Does it ever just clear up on its own?

I am in such a terrible state of anxiety over this atm.  So afraid of more antibiotics and getting c difficile.

jessieblue

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 03:19:12 PM »

I am getting really worried.  I still have the need to pee a lot and a little discomfort.  I am so anxious about it, its hard to know if my anxiety is causing it.  I don't know what to do.  Why would the bacteria not be killed by the antibiotic if it was the right one?  I am totally freaking out now.  Now I will need stronger antibiotics and the one thing I fear ..... c diff, is more likely.

Don't think I can get through this, my anxiety and panic are through the roof.

How do you ladies cope, I feel so broken.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 03:44:35 PM »

Well I trust the ABs to work.  I also take pain relief, usually 'nurofen'; 2 capsules 3 times a day to relax the spincter and need2P feelings. That usually works within 12 hours. 

C.diff is unlikely.  Have you been in contact with anyone with the 'bug'? 

Women used 'barley water', Anadin or suffered until ABs became available, however; there is far too much use of ABs and in less than 10 years the World will be having problems due to resistance. 

I don't know what you class as 'stronger antibiotics'  :-\. If it's prescribed to kill a certain bug/s then you may need a further course of the same, I wouldn't take anything different but insist on the same again or referral to a urologist.

jessieblue

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »

Thank you for always being there CLKD xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 06:22:35 PM »

Drink little and often
Take pain relief regularly
Go without underwear when possible, let the air get to it (Granny's advice ;-) )

pepperminty

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 06:33:56 PM »

Thank you for your replies. 

Pepperminty, when you say the guidelines are outdated?  I am so confused beacuse when I first had a uti some 12 years ago I was given 10 days of ciprofloxacin!  Then I was given a week of trimethoprim and once a week of macrobid.  Fast forward a few years to now and its a standard 3 days of macrobid or trimethoprim.  I have been reading and apparently they have shown that 3 days will work as well as a 7 day course if it is the right antiobiotic!  Who do we believe?

To be honest I would rather take a short course, but of course thats no good if it doesn't work.  I will not get more antibiotics without another culture.  Last time my second culture came back negative and so I just continued with d mannose and symptoms gradually eased.  Its very confusing as I have such bad anxiety, I get bladder irritation from anxiety alone and I have to try not to panic and think that it is a uti when its not.

What happened to women before the use of antibiotics in the 40s?  Women must have still got cystitis I imagine.  Does it ever just clear up on its own?

I am in such a terrible state of anxiety over this atm.  So afraid of more antibiotics and getting c difficile.

The guide lines were changed  based on a trial of how little you could give a pregnant woman and they haven't changed it . Men automatically get 14 days if they have uti symptoms ( guess they couldn't do a pregnancy study with men!  ::)

Have a look at the link I posted. Try not to worry. Also maybe look at seeing a good women's health physio to help with urgency and pelvis floor.
Pages: [1] 2