Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 35 year old C-section scar  (Read 3582 times)

Joni

35 year old C-section scar
« on: March 20, 2022, 04:29:27 PM »

Hi, I come in and read what’s on post menopause mainly, but really need to share a worry.

As in title line, baby no.2 and last one was born 35 years ago and was my 2nd section birth. My scar healed perfectly but in the last 36-24 months, the scar frequently becomes ,red, itchy, painful to touch (I never have scratched it) and it smells like stinky feet.  GP in 2020 prescribed steroid  cream which immediately helps. I stop cream after 4 or 5 days. I have a similar rash on my right cheek bone with similar cream to make it disappear. It’s not sore or weepy, just itchy.
My husband thinks it’s due to me being heavier (fat) but I darent disagree without a huge row. All I want is a bit of understanding sympathy, that’s a whole other problem.
Any ideas what is causing my scar problem?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 35 year old C-section scar
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 05:30:01 PM »

If it smells cheesy it's probably an infection of sorts, caught in the folds.  My appendix scan - which was supposed to be via 'key hole', reckon it was the key to Westminster Abbey  ;D. often itches due to dryness so I use 'vaseline' to rub in gently.  Could your Practice Nurse take a swab of the area, to prescribe maybe an anti- fungus preparation?

OK what: so you are 'fat'?  Fat = skin folds which can catch bacteria.  My cocker had lip folds that would hold debris = smelly which was relieved by a cream and plenty of flannel washing which she hated  ::)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 07:54:59 PM »

Hello Joni. I agree with CLKD. I would think a rash that has a smell is infected. Have you shown the rash to a doctor since it started to have a smell? I think it is really important you get it checked out. Once the doctor has assessed it they will be able to provide you with appropriate treatment and you will feel more comfortable.

Joni

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 09:15:50 PM »

Thanks ladies, feeling better already. I’ve been reading all sorts on “thenet” and it could could be from the inner layer of tissue which was cut into all those years ago……the mind in overdrive is awful.We Are away from home until Friday but I will try to get a GP appointment next week and tell you the outcome.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 09:19:30 PM »

Thanks ladies, feeling better already. I’ve been reading all sorts on “thenet” and it could could be from the inner layer of tissue which was cut into all those years ago……the mind in overdrive is awful.We Are away from home until Friday but I will try to get a GP appointment next week and tell you the outcome.

I am so pleased you are feeling a bit better. I hope you enjoy your break and can get an appointment soon.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 09:55:45 PM »

Sharing helps focus the mind which is never logical when anxiety sets in.

MayB some talc would help to keep the area dry, or visit a Pharmacist in the morning if in the UK.  They have private rooms and could recommend a fungus treatment.

Anywhere nice - not that I'm nosey or owt  ;D

JeanGenie

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 01:46:56 PM »

I get the exact same thing. I've had 3 c-sections....the last one 34 years ago. No matter what weight I am I always have a bit of an overhang where the scar is. Sometimes it's incredibly itchy and on inspection is bright red and raw looking and has sometimes bled. I also noticed a smell. What I've been doing for a while has kept it at bay . When I shower I towel dry and then with my hairdryer on cool setting I "blow dry" underneath the scar. I feel a bit daft but it works and I find it really helps to keep the area bone dry. I then smooth in a bit of e45 cream or aveno.
I very seldom get the itchy redness now but I find that the HC45 cream gets rid of it quickly.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 03:00:44 PM »

Or Sudacrem?