Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: When to stop using HRT?  (Read 1931 times)

Franco

When to stop using HRT?
« on: March 21, 2022, 09:49:33 AM »

Hi, I've just received a text message from my GP practice asking me to make an appointment to discuss reducing my HRT with a view to coming off it completely.  I'm 59 and I've been using Estradot 100mg patches for 7yrs and had hysterectomy at 39 but kept ovaries.  I've read articles that say you should come off HRT once your symptoms have stopped but how would you know they've stopped if you're still using HRT?  Also even if the symptoms have stopped doesn't HRT protect you from other health problems i.e. osteoporosis? Is there a 'right age' to stop using? Thanks Jules

Suza

Re: When to stop using HRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »

Hi Jules
I was given the same ultimatum age 62, 2 years ago, told by the practice nurse and gp that I had to come off hrt.
Reluctantly did as I was told and got horrendous symptoms, hot flushes etc.
After joining this forum and posting a few times, I was given invaluable info about nice guidelines and their being no upper age limit now for hrt as long as benefits outweigh the risks.
There are minimum risks with patches.
Don't come off if you feel good on them, maybe reduce down to a smaller dosage and see how you get on if you want to
Good luck
Susan

Franco

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 10:56:05 AM »

Hi Susan thanks for the quick response.  Do you have a link to the NICE guidelines you mentioned?  How do you know if the benefits out way the risks if you're still using HRT and don't know if you've reached the other side of the menopause and don't have symptoms?  Sorry for daft questions! x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »

Hi you can use hrt forever if you want to. That is the up to date advice. x

laszla

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 12:47:25 PM »

No need to come off it, your gp doesn't know what they're talking about.
NICE guidelines say "HRT should be continued for as long as benefits of symptom control and improved quality of life outweigh any risks, and there is no arbitrary limit for duration of HRT use." https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/menopause/management/management-of-menopause-perimenopause-or-premature-ovarian-insufficiency/#referral

Suza

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »

Hi Jules
I see you've been sent a link for the nice guidelines.
If you're on oestrogen only patches, the benefits usually outweigh the health risks.
You obviously feel well on hrt so why would you want to come off.
The only way to find out if you would develop menopause symptoms would be to stop hrt.
I did this and within 3months I was on the phone asking to be put back on it, which took 1 year and many e consultations, and menopause clinic referral to be allowed back on it.
My advice would be, don't stop completely if you don't want to, and don't agree to stop, but try to reduce your dose gradually and see if you get any symptoms.
Susan

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »

Don't stop!   There is no need, if the regime is working.  Your GP should be letting you know if there are any risks of you continue, but generally, ladies go for Quality of Life ;-).

Point out to your GP that HRT protects heart and bones.  That you feel well with what you are using.  This mayB due to practice expenses, it's end of year mayB - cynic.  Moi?  Or due to old fashioned ideas about HRT.  If you meet with resistance you can send an e-mail to Dr Currie on the Forum or ask to be referred to an NHS Menopause Clinic for which there will be a waiting list.

I wouldn't even consider reducing, Life is too short to phaff about!  Sometimes GPs have to tick boxes: mine does occasionally about my regime ......... we Have Words  ;D