Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Blood Pressure and Post Menopause  (Read 1880 times)

Songbird

Blood Pressure and Post Menopause
« on: March 12, 2022, 03:43:51 PM »

Hello dear ladies
I have posted a few times b4 but, just to recap on my situation prior to me seeking your thoughts on my latest woe  :-\

I’m 57, over 5 years “post menopause”, have pretty much solved my VA and anxiety problems but, as I still have vasomotor symptoms during the day and night, have mild brain fog  ???, am Mrs Grumpy 😠 and wake up at 3am every blooming night feeling as if I’m going to spontaneously combust  :steamed:
I am keen to take a form of HRT. I am currently monitoring my blood pressure (for a week) as per my GP’s request………….

Jeez, it’s all over the place.  Pretty good for the first 3 days but yesterday and today have returned high readings. I reckon Dr Doom will turn me down for HRT but I can’t help thinking it’s my shitty hormones that are causing the up and down readings  :beat:
I think I’ll be given BP meds and sent away with a flea in my ear  :'(

Or have I got this completely wrong? Xx
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:55:54 PM by Songbird »

Amazing grace

Re: Blood Pressure and Post Menopause
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 01:20:56 PM »

Hi songbird, I have high blood pressure and I am on hrt estrogel and ovestin, i had high blood pressure before starting it, my gp didn't seem to be concerned at all, but I was stage 1 hypertensive so didn't require blood pressure meds, they moniter me every year on hrt review and I have a annual check on my birthday, as I have high cholesterol and blood sugar too but none have been enough to require meds, lifestyle changes is what they suggested which I've done but it's failed to change anything, I'm now moving into hypertension stage two which is likely to require meds, but still my gp said with monitoring I am fine to use hrt, she did say I definitely would never be able to use hrt pills with high blood pressure and mainly due to migraines with aura I get, but patches, sprays and gels are generally safer, I can't speak for your own personal situation, I think it would depend on age, and how high blood pressure is as to weather your gp would prescribe, I'm 48 and right now my blood pressure is around 145/98, my high blood pressure is mostly caused by constant anxiety which is proving difficult to control, but I believe on the whole, hrt can be given if you have high blood pressure, if the blood pressure is controlled either by bringing it down with lifestyle changes or with meds, if it's dangerously high I doubt you would be given it, this is only from my own personal experience, your gp may have a different view to mine.

Songbird

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 05:33:10 PM »

Hi Amazing Grace
Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate you sharing your story. I’m a bit more hopeful about getting started on a form of HRT.  Strangely enough, I also suffer from occasional migraine with aura and have also always been a worry wart  :-\
I’ll be glad to finish with the BP monitoring (week of monitoring finishes tomorrow). I’m anxious every time I have to take a reading  :o. This definitely doesn’t help  ;)….
Thanks again  :love:

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 06:29:08 PM »

If you need to be prescribed BP medication you can use HRT once your BP is at level GP is happy with. You will be advised to use transdermal HRT and not tablets though.

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 06:39:50 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell
That's good to know. I do feel I'm needing HRT for the symptoms I am experiencing.
Thanks again  :bighug:

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 02:29:37 PM »

Hi songbird...glad your VA is under control.  I was flatly and decidedly declined HRT due to high BP.  GP wouldn't even consider it.  I understand, as Tinkerbell mentioned, if your BP can be controlled by meds or changing habits, it can be considered however if your BP is considered "uncontrolled", unfortunately your GP will more than likely say NOT.  However we here in Canada have had several adverts on a new HRT that is organic in nature and apparently can be used by anyone.  I'll try to find the name of it and post it.

Songbird

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 08:12:34 PM »

Hi Whatsupwiththis!

Well, I plucked up the courage and handed in my “7 days worth of BP readings”.  To be fair, most of them were ok but there were a few high readings once my old friend “anxiety” turned up  :-\
In my surgery here in sunny Scotland they take the average as a starting point, they factor in age, BMI, underlying health conditions etc and then work out whether you have a BP problem which requires attention  :neutral:
I will report for duty  ;) at my surgery next week and hear what they have to say.

Songbird  :whist:  xx

Catcc

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 06:07:57 PM »

Hi
Prior to starting HRT i was concerned about my blood pressure as it was high all the time (had been fine before menopause). Doctor had me monitoring it myself as I had white coat syndrome.   With evorel patch and utrogestan my BP has come down.  It amazing.  Positive side effect of the HRT :-)
I'm same age as you and was a few years post Meno prior to starting HRT
Good luck! PS I'm in Scotland too

Songbird

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »

Hi Catcc
I’m really glad you posted.  This gives me hope. Good to know you are the same age with BP issues prior to starting HRT (and it’s good now).  Happy days  ;)
 :foryou: