Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Can hormonal symptoms come alone or all at once?  (Read 1248 times)

Lauz7

Can hormonal symptoms come alone or all at once?
« on: January 17, 2023, 06:35:14 PM »

As thread title… sometimes on it’s own (lower crampy ache feeling) but today it’s along with arm ache and breast and under arm ache! Can everything come at once sometimes?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can hormonal symptoms come alone or all at once?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 06:37:31 PM »

Yep.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry:  inside and out; scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina, skin.  Muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  The Change: does what it says on the tin  ::)

Pain relief should help with the aches and pains.  Some find that yoga, cycling, walking, swimming, pilates ...... all help. 

Lauz7

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 06:46:38 PM »

Every single person I speak to says ‘you’re only 36, you can’t be peri menopausal!’ Then gets me back to worrying what it could possibly be otherwise.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 06:59:13 PM »

Who do you speak to?

I'll let you into something that not many medics are aware of. Something to copy down and hand to anyone that even suggests that you 'are too young'.  Also ask where they get their mis-information from? 

Some girls never see a period: rare but it happens.  Some girls have a few bleeds, then they stop.  Rare but it happens.  GPs don't seem to know that women can never be 'too young' to have peri-menopause: those years when we realise that periods are waxing and waning as well as strange and sometimes debilitating symptoms arrive.

We are supposed to count 12 months from the last bleed: however, Nature can throw a curved ball and another period arrives  >:( so we have to start from month 1.  Menopause = last monthly bleed.

Also: nothing is 'only' or 'just'.  Bad habits in our language!  Mum used to tell others "She's only a secretary, anyone would think that she does the operations!".  Without any knowledge of my working practice!!!  Or how involved secretaries were with the rest of the Team. 

I may have said: keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be of use.  Get onto your GP and ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic: not a gynae as they don't know much either! 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 09:21:44 PM »

Every single person I speak to says ‘you’re only 36, you can’t be peri menopausal!’ Then gets me back to worrying what it could possibly be otherwise.

I find people are very ignorant about peri but you can reassure yourself by the responses you have had on here that you are not too young. I started HRT at 38 but clearly had peri symptoms earlier only I did not realise. This forum has been such a great help to me and I realised there is nothing wrong with me, I am just going through peri. :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 09:27:02 PM »

A menopause symptom checker might be useful. There is one on Dr Louise Newson's site https://www.balance-menopause.com/menopause-library/menopause-symptom-sheet/ or on her balance app. Also one in the files of Diane Danzebrink's Menopause Support Group (private Facebook group, worth joining). These are worth filling out to broach discussion with your GP surgery if they are resistant to the idea of early menopause.
Otherwise, what CLKD says!
JP x

Lauz7

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 09:51:31 PM »

Thanks all… I guess what confuses me is that I don’t have dry eyes, or headaches, or night sweats or hot flashes!
But lots of other stuff

Basically feeling proper lost as to what it actually is. All I know is, none of this feels normal to me. The pain in my breasts and underarms radiates down my arms today.

Lauz7

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 09:54:12 PM »

CLKD- you’re right about the language- also when I said ‘everyone’  I meant the doctors I have seen so far (apart from one who mentioned the review to discuss hrt next time) and all of my friends I have chatted with!

Lauz7

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 09:59:19 PM »

And I just feel currently that some of this stuff hurts too much to be hormones- does that sound daft…
Like the aches I feel crippled…
The arm pain and under arm pain. It is so bad!

Is anyone else ever thought that too?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »

Hormones.  Etc.  Mine symptoms fortunately didn't all happen at the same time.  Even now I get aches in some of the joints, can usually put it down to having lifted something or from working in the garden.  Oestrogen is the 'oil' in the body, helps with elasticity. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »

Tingling in hands and fingers can certainly be hormonally linked, pregnant women often suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome which goes after the baby is born.  Tingling may be caused by stiffness in the neck and shoulders.