Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vitamin withdrawal - is there such a thing?  (Read 1679 times)

CrispyChick

Vitamin withdrawal - is there such a thing?
« on: April 18, 2022, 07:04:37 PM »

I've merrily been taking 3000 u vitamin D spray for a while.

My levels have come way up from low to a really good level. Now I seem to have misplaced my spray ...

I am sooo fatigued. Dragging myself around today.

Now, I have a lot of hormonal trials going on right now, but I'm just wondering if stopping the high dose vit D abruptly could trigger withdrawal??? I've probably done 3 days without now.

Any ideas on where a peri menopausal woman would place a 'misplaced' vit spray, much appreciated  :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vitamin withdrawal - is there such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 08:05:34 AM »

Nope.  Certainly in my case I didn't notice any effects when I stopped taking capsules.  When I was lacking in VitD I was tired, could hardly move, sat still for hours.  Within a week of taking the amount you state, I felt better.

Recently I've started due to feeing weary.  Haven't noticed a difference so probably not lacking VitD, however, it won't harm taking it.

OK where to begin: fridge; freezer; under the pillows; in the air cupboard; with the cat food ?  in the bottom of your handbag, where is your mobile: could it be with that?

Let us know ;-) or it may be that strange woman ?

Haydo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 12:40:38 PM »

If you suddenly stop taking any supplements your body can experience withdrawal symptoms, such as fatigue,  tiredness, depression, compromised immune system etc.  As you have suddenly stopped taking quite a high dose this could be the reason for your tiredness.  I suddenly stopped taking vitamin D when I ran out and my new supply hadn’t arrived, and felt exactly the same as you for the four days I went without.  I have since been told that if you stop taking any supplement you should do so gradually. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:16:38 PM »

The kidneys will excrete any supplements not required.  Who told you that Haydo?

Haydo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »

I was told by a nutritionist that if you are taking a supplement that your body needs and you suddenly stop taking it that you will suffer withdrawal symptoms.  Obviously, based on my reaction when I didn’t take it for the four days, I need to be taking D3 and perhaps CrispyChick is the same. 

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 01:51:16 PM »

Perhaps their not withdrawal symptoms as such, rather the return of symptoms due to the deficiency. 3 days sounds about right, I notice it after 2. Maybe take some OTC capsules until you can replace it?

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 04:17:07 PM »

Thanks guys.

I thought there was bound to be an impact. Probably, like you say, I'm utilising what I take, do I am in need of it.

The problem has been solved by my finding it in a very random place this afternoon!!!

I think this alerts me that I should reduce doses gradually. Irrespective of the medicine or supplement. X