Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem pessaries?  (Read 2464 times)

Hippiechick

Vagifem pessaries?
« on: March 14, 2022, 01:29:18 PM »

Hi I'm new to this so not too sure about posting messages etc. I recently went to doctors she prescribed vagifem pessaries..I initially went cos thought I might have bacterial infection down below..The thing is since using pessaries I've felt so much better in myself than I've felt for years. I'm 64yrs so post menopausal. I have suffered with headaches,anxiety and generally feeling crap for years. Suddenly my headaches have disappeareared,I have more energy..and as I said feel completely different. I was using them everyday for first 2 weeks and now have to use twice a week..Is it possible they can work as well as other hrt methods.i.e. patches etc.. Anyone else have these and my main question is can I keep using them indefinitely.. I certainly don't want to feel how I felt before. In short I want my life back..Any comments,advice,help most appreciated.

Flossieteacake

Re: Vagifem pessaries?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 02:08:28 PM »

Hello Hippiechick and welcome to the forum. It is wonderful vagifem has improved your symptoms. It is safe to continuously use vagifem. Vagifem is helpful for dryness or vaginal atrophy. I am sure others will be along soon to advise on your other questions.  :)

Gracie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 03:35:31 PM »

Anyone else have these and my main question is can I keep using them indefinitely.. I certainly don't want to feel how I felt before. In short I want my life back..Any comments,advice,help most appreciated.

I use Vagifem pessaries and for me its for life, prescribed to relieve the symptoms of Vaginal Atrophy. I use every day with added Ovestin cream to use locally when needed along with a vaginal moisturiser, its quite a regime but necessary.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »

Hi! do read the vaginal atrophy and bladder issues threads.   :welcomemm:

Once the symptoms are relieved, it is so much easier: 4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there.  'ovestin' really helps.

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 04:46:18 PM »

Can you say more about how you feel Vagifem has stopped your headaches and improved your energy levels and anxiety if I've understood you correctly? Thanks!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 05:14:26 PM »

Some do report that headaches start with Vagifem but it's such a small amount of active ingredient ........

Headaches can be caused by dehydration.

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 05:18:17 PM »

Yes, but there were headaches beforehand for years, not from starting? 🤔 The headaches have gone as a result of starting with the Vagifem? 🤔

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »

Vagifem does go slightly systemic to start with, hopefully it will continue for you. You may need more than 2 per week, that is the absolute minmum and most people use nightly. Nice to hear its working for you. :)

Cookie25

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 10:32:16 PM »

Hi Hippiechick

I would agree with Dierdre, I felt systematic results initially but that soon stopped once the VA improved, therefore if the good results you've felt disappear then it sounds to me like you'd benefit from a low dose patch or gel. Do others agree?

Cookie
Xxxxx

Hippiechick

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 07:47:18 PM »

Thank you so much to everyone for responding to my post..I am definately going back to see my doctor again as now I am using pessaries just twice a week as instructed I have started getting headaches again. I felt so good for that initial first two weeks when using daily. I know the pessaries are mainly for treating vaginal atrophy. In the first instance I went to my g.p because I thought i may have had vaginal infection. She wouldn't do an internal examination or take swab or anything as she said she could see I was very swollen and it would hurt too much. Hence she prescribed me the pessaries. I also stressed how my headaches had been getting worse,almost on a daily basis..I was using migraine medication all the time. It wasn't until having used the pessaries did I realise just how bad I'd been feeling for the past 10years or so. It was like a cloud had lifted and suddenly I could function again. It seems that I may benefit from other methods of hrt so as I said I'll definately  be making an appointment again with my doctor. The effects have definately  worn off..I am struggling right now to even write this as my head is hurting..I just needed to thank you all  for your replies and sharing any experiences with me. I shall post again and let you all know how I get on..Watch this space folks!!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 07:50:27 PM »

That sounds awful for you. I know they say to switch to using vagifem twice a week but if your symptoms of vaginal atrophy are bad, I would use it daily. I personally use ovestin daily. I really hope they can treat your chronic migraines. They are a nightmare.

Hippiechick

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 05:56:35 PM »

Thanks everyone once again for your comments..re using vagifem. I haven't yet managed to get back to my G.P ..partly due to hassle of actually getting an appointment these days..Anyhow I guess what I really would like to know is can hrt pessaries work the same way as patches or tablets. From what I've read online they seem to be for treating vaginal atrophy only and not for any other symptoms of the menopause. I know I felt amazingly different the first two weeks of taking these daily..not so good now just twice a week..Has anyone else had experience of this or is knowable enough to be able to advise me. Thanks.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 06:14:23 PM »

Vagifem is for vaginal atrophy but some progesterone can be taken vaginally. Otherwise, vagifem is just for the atrophy.

Gracie

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 08:18:11 PM »

Yes, Vagifem is for treating VA. After the two weeks of every day use and then using twice a week I soon realised that this was not enough, I was getting nowhere fast and suffering badly.  Vagifem is safe to use every day and even then I need the added benefits of Ovestin to use locally plus a moisturiser.

If you felt better using the pessary every day then do that and see how you get on.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 08:34:33 PM by Gracie »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »

Use it daily - it's about plumping the vaginal area so that it is less dry .  Some require 'sylc' or 'yes' products on the outer labia as well. 
Pages: [1] 2