Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Menopause-friendly gym routines  (Read 792 times)

Ticaleur

Menopause-friendly gym routines
« on: March 12, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »

Hi All,

I know that exercise is really important in menopause, including strength training. I’ve recently signed back up at the gym. The next few weeks I’m going to be swimming as I’m doing a sponsored swim but then I want to get into the gym. Does anyone have any recommended routines/machines that they use that are good for menopause. I’ve never really used the resistance machines and all the staff at the gym are 12 year old boys (might be a slight underestimation but you know what I mean!!). Just wondered what tried and tested circuits any of you do at the gym. Thanks Clare

Postmeno3

Re: Menopause-friendly gym routines
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »

Completely out of the question for me, with M.E., but hopefully those able will be along with ideas.

Ticaleur

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »

Thanks Post Meno 3. Hope you are well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 03:57:41 PM »

That sounds like hard work so count me out  ;D - I can't remember to do the exercises recommended by the Physio.   ::)

Most exercise is free.  Wild water swimming  :o but U don't know what's lurking in those weeds
Walking - good weight bearing bone strengthening over-all exercise - find a friend/borrow a dog on fine days ;-)
Cycling - we don't because the roads are SO bad where we live  >:(
Running up and down stairs during the day
Hoovering and dusting - yep they count too

On my 50th birthday I joined our swimming group - never went since that day  :-\.  The wet floors, the smell, the need to get dressed again when my skin was damp due to the cubicles being Oh So Small  :D

Let us know what you decide

ATB

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »

I don’t like gyms so I have a power block set of weights at home and use YouTube. I use Heather Robertson Weight training videos, started with Fitness blender, they don’t use machines though but you could use them for free weight sessions in the gym. You’re right that strength training is really important, especially for our bones so I make sure I do 3 weight sessions a week. I also love Coach Kel barre workouts, you can do those at home though and they’re really hard. Lots of body weight stuff.