Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogen levels after being on hrt  (Read 2114 times)

Dawnp

Estrogen levels after being on hrt
« on: March 09, 2022, 11:52:05 AM »

Has anyone else had their estrogen levels checked after being on hrt for a while. I have been on increasing doses of hrt patches (up to 200 now) for months but my estrogen level was still only 236 on my last blood test. This probably explains why hrt doesn’t appear to be working for me, as I was told the level needs to be consistently above 250. Curious to know what your levels are if you have had them tested; as it will give me a comparison.

sheila99

Re: Estrogen levels after being on hrt
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »

Like most nhs patients my levels haven't been tested but I thought the baseline should be 300? I think you could benefit from a different delivery method which you may absorb better. Have you tried anything else?

Dawnp

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 02:48:15 PM »

I tried 2mg tablets but only for a couple of weeks because I reacted to the progesterone in them. However I think I might need to go back to estrogen only tablets (with a different progesterone) My only concern is that the tablets are only equal to approx 100 patch, or less.

Teresa

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »

What patches are you on?
It sounds like you need to try a different patch, or put it somewhere else in your lower half?

I was on estradot 37.5, increasing to 50 and had been in HRT for 4 months, when I did manage to get tested on the NHS ( my GP afterwards says he shouldn’t have done it) and my levels were 112.

Since changing to Evorel 75 and placing them on my bottom ( I was originally placing patches on front) I have been feeling better, though I can’t get tested, but I think it’s made a difference.

Teresa

Dawnp

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »

I’m currently using 2 x 100 Estradot patches but I was using a Conti patch previously. I just feel worse and worse as time has gone by, and I feel even worse with this most recent increase. I’m burning up most of the time. It feels impossible to know now whether the patches/dose are causing the problems or whether I’m still not getting enough to stop my symptoms.  I’m putting them on my lower abdomen but maybe I should try swapping to my backside instead.

laszla

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »

I'm a great believer in testing and monitoring blood levels of estrogen, particularly if one isnt doing well on a regime and changes. From what I've read it should be at least 300 for bone protection and according to Prof Studd around 800 pmol for menopausal depression.

Teresa

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 07:07:09 PM »

Apologies for not coming back sooner Dawnp,

It sounds like you could put them on your bottom. I found that I had much better absorption there, but I only know by  my improved symptoms and the way I was feeling. I can’t get another blood test bug I very much doubt I’m on the levels mentioned in your reply above, especially as I’m only on 75mcg.

If you place them on your bottom, you don’t have to go too far round and besides, it can get a bit tricky and you end up being a bit of a contortionist! Just to the side a bit will do fine, on the fleshier, fattier parts. It works for me.

What progesterone are you taking though? I have read that large doses if estrogen need to be matched with larger amounts of progesterone. You may have already increased this, but thought I’d better mention it. However as you aren’t currently absorbing that much from the dose you have, you probably don’t need to worry, but could be worth asking GP if that hasn’t been increased too?

Teresa

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:08:52 PM by Teresa »

Teresa

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 07:12:26 PM »

Also - I find I don’t absorb that well from Estradot.
I am much better on Evorel75 ( not the conti ones) so you might find they are better too….however, they are quite large  :o and if you are using two you might find it difficult to rotate them and find places for them…

Dawnp

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 09:06:04 AM »

That is all really interesting. I could definitely try putting them on my bottom instead. It’s also interesting that you don’t absorb the Estradot well. Did you know that because your symptoms were worse when you were using them?
I certainly have been much worse since I’ve been on them. I was originally using the Conti patches and I think things weren’t as bad as they are now, even though I was on a lower dose.
I’m also having problems with the Utrogestan I think so have only been using it every other day vaginally. The menopause clinic said if I am intolerant I can go back on the progesterone only contraceptive pill that I used to take and use that as my progesterone instead, so I think I’ll have to do that.

Teresa

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 10:20:03 AM »

Hi DawnP,

Just from my experience, I thought Estradot would be fine and the same as Evorel for me, but after trying it twice now, I know it’s not. 

I switched to Estradot 75 from Evorel 75, purely for the more convenient size and within two weeks, I was getting dark hairs sprouting everywhere on my top lip and experiencing hot flushes ( not bad flushes, but I’m sure it would have got worse) the dark hairs literally grew back within two days of removing them, when I was using estradot. I had this before too, on the Estradot 50. I’m now back on Evorel75 and two weeks into Evorel, no dark hairs and sleeping better.

It could be that you do need to up the progesterone in some way from what you’re saying and perhaps go back on that pill. Are you able to use the mirena coil? That could be an option? I used to have that for over 10 years snd recommend them. Unfortunately I can’t have it now as I’ve got  fibroids and it becomes a major problem inserting and removing - otherwise I’d have another.

Teresa

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:22:29 AM by Teresa »

Dawnp

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »

I collected some Evorel 100 patches on Friday and changed them over from my front to my bottom and hip.
I did feel a bit better yesterday and was really hopeful. I’m not great again today but I do wonder if I still need a further increase in dose. The menopause clinic want me to increase to 250 but I’m not sure where I’ll be able to stick another one! I’m starting to wonder if transdermal methods jist don’t work for me.
The progesterone does need sorting out though because I keep bleeding. Going back to the pill seems like the best idea at the mo. I’m really squeamish so I won’t be able to face the coil unfortunately 🙄 Thank you so much for your reply