Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and fibroids  (Read 1393 times)

ann58

Vagifem and fibroids
« on: June 02, 2021, 01:17:24 PM »

I had to stop taking my hrt early last year as I had a mini stroke. My doctor has prescribed me vagifem 10mg  for dryness. I have been using it for 8 months now (Twice weekly). I have a fibroid in my uterus close to my cervix and I have read in a few places that you shouldn't use vagifem if you have fibroids. Doe anyone have any thoughts on this please? Is there an alternative I can use?

hereandthere

Re: Vagifem and fibroids
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 05:46:57 AM »

Sorry so late to reply but have you discussed vagivital with your doctor?  It’s a cellulose gel.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33116956/

I’m interested in alternatives due to having both Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia of the breast and a fibroid which bled post menopausal,however I was on systemic HRT so have ‘downgraded’ to vagifem.
There’s also DHEA products, helpful to avoid cancer, but not sure about fibroids.
I see that the fibroid and stroke risks are generally reported to go down after two years.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:50:57 AM »

I've just checked the patient leaflet from my vagifem and it says that if you have fibroids you should discuss with your doctor first as they can worsen with treatment. Did your doctor mention this when it was prescribed?  :-\

hereandthere

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 01:08:51 PM »

Very late sorry, but in case you read this, not that I recall. I haven’t had any issues so far these last months.