Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Electric Vehicles - the good, bad and ugly  (Read 5012 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Electric Vehicles - the good, bad and ugly
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2022, 12:01:48 PM »

UK governments are bullying the public into buying electric vehicles without being honest about the whole process. 

This isn't about arguments.  This is about how we view electric vehicles.  4.5 billion is 'a long time ago' when no one was around to monitor the natural progression of the Earth.

menomope

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2022, 12:51:54 PM »

'Bullying' ? a bit strong. I have had the unfortunate experience of being bullied in my life and I think this is an inappropriate use of the word.

Encouraging/persuading people to buy an EV ( or hybrid) rather than a petrol or diesel vehicle IF  they are already planning  (  or their old car packed up like ours did) on buying a new vehicle is not bullying.

Moving to electric from petrol and diesel is a key way to reduce emissions that are harmful to the environment. It is so much better for our health too especially for people who live near roads.

I am sorry that you are unable to accept the overwhelming ( towering) evidence for human beings effect on climate change . I think you are out of step with the majority of the population ( 72%) who believe we are the cause.
I also see you have still not been able to provide or link to any evidence which clarifies your position.
I am done here.
DONT LOOK UP

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2022, 12:56:44 PM »

:-\  :-\ you remind me of a previous member who pushed and pushed ........ as well as twisting my comments !

I am sorry that you are unable to accept the overwhelming ( towering) evidence for human beings effect on climate change .
.  That's your reaction to my comments.  It happens not to be true.  But you won't be around, apparently to copy and paste where you think that statement applies to me.

Also I am not responsible for any one's reactions to my comments.

This thread isn't about proving anything - but yeah or nay to electric vehicles.

littleminnie

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »

I think it’s the case that they are stopping making new petrol/diesel cars.  You will still be able to buy 2nd hand ones.   It’s no different than you can no longer buy black and white tv’s,  twin tub washing machines etc.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 12:59:46 PM »

I loved our Twin Tub  ;D - I could recycle the rinse water into a bucket to tip onto the flower beds therefore getting exercise as well as not wasting water  :ange:  However, if the pumps go dry ?  Looks like I need to find my bicycle pump.

getting_old

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »

I think it’s the case that they are stopping making new petrol/diesel cars.  You will still be able to buy 2nd hand ones.   It’s no different than you can no longer buy black and white tv’s,  twin tub washing machines etc.

I think they are still making new petrol / diesel cars, but maybe in lower numbers, and offering hybrids and electric vehicles alongside so people have more choice.

I do question how green the process of generating electricity is at times. Obviously wind and solar power is green but other methods? And if we all get electric vehicles wil the electric companies be able to meet the demand?

I would like to move away from an oil powered car, but I'm not keen on the electric option. I'd prefer to see other "fuels" that can be manufactured without impacting the environment. Years ago I remember reading reports about people using cooking oils to power cars and wonder if there's an option there? I also remember a film about someone who created an alternative fule and was "shut down" by the oil companies. Obviously fiction, but it makes you wonder how much innovation is being stamped out by those with a vested interest in maintaining a dependence on fossil fuels  ???

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 08:01:52 PM »

I often see vans "We are collecting oil for the vehicle industry" on the sides of tankers as well as 'we are powered by cooking oil'.  So it is possible.  However, the vans 'go out to collect' the oil from the food industry  ::). better than throwing it I suppose

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »

DH has been following the ifs/buts regarding EVs.  Interesting advertising .......... quoting the mileage achieved but it's for the higher cost vehicles, not as on the advert to cover all vehicles  :-\.  The mileage was longer for the dearest vehicles but the cheaper ones have to be charged twice in the same journey.  We've been here B4, with diesel  >:(.

He was watching a video about the improvements of these ideas.  He hasn't said much ........

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 06:43:54 AM »

I think they are still making new petrol / diesel cars, but maybe in lower numbers, and offering hybrids and electric vehicles alongside so people have more choice.
The production of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned from 2030 but certain hybrid models will continue to be made until 2035.

getting_old

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 05:22:29 PM »

The production of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned from 2030 but certain hybrid models will continue to be made until 2035.
It'll be interesting to see what happens for those people who can't afford to buy a new car, or people who have classic cars. Will petrol stations still be around and what about petrol prices?

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 08:38:21 PM »

It's bullying.  Electric vehicles are not green ............. but the UK Government seems to ignore the evidence from China about polluting ways of mining the Rare Earth Minerals required for the batteries  >:( A bit NIMBY.

littleminnie

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 08:30:07 AM »

Who knows what’s best.  Will need to get rid of our diesel car at some point.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 11:50:32 AM »

It's difficult, what annoys me is how the public are cointually being misled on buying vehicles.  Who knew that results were being skewed regarding emission reports on diesels? so we were led into buying one to get petrol off the road.  Then we were 'told'  :-\ - I do wonder if this was to 'encourage' the public to buy electric  :-\.  Cynic?   Moi?

There isn't enough reserarch or genuine testing on electric vehicles yet, most press reports are on hi-end cars ........ 1 has to really read between the lines on all the reports to get anywhere near the truth!  DH has spent hours reading different reports, it also depends who is funding the report  >:(

I may well find a field for a donkey and cart, I'll need plenty of practice  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 09:42:05 AM »

DH has read this morning about a driver travelling from S Wales to Neffyn - who planned his charging points carefully.  However!  worth a LookC!

jaypo

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »

I don't mind if people want to have electric cars but just don't push me to have one. Many moons ago we were all told to go diesel but now? Yep,oops,we were wrong to tell you that,our mistake,sorry and that's what will happen with electric,the dismantling and disposing of them will become an issue.We will always have petrol and diesel as lorries must run on them,imagine a lorry driver hanging around for half an hour charging his lorry?! Norway now have in plan,places where,instead of charging,they take your battery out and give you an already charged one,saves the waiting,good idea but how many of these places would we need?
Pages: 1 [2] 3