Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Deborah James  (Read 1596 times)

Songbird

Deborah James
« on: May 13, 2022, 04:54:49 PM »

Well ladies.  I am in awe of this wonderful, inspiring woman. I'm kind of lost for words after watching BBC news this morning and seeing her journey. Millions raised in a matter of days, a damehood being given (rightly so) and the sheer number of people with cancer diagnoses that she has selflessly helped is, frankly, astounding. I was watching with tears running down my face. What a lady. Her family must be so proud. Outstanding 💖🌹

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Deborah James
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 07:11:07 PM »

Yes I agree Songbird.
Such a fantastic lady, and bringing all the symptoms to peoples attention, words escape me.
Her family must be very proud. And rightly so.
Isn’t life a bitch, where she got the strength from I don’t know, but if anyone deserves a damehood, it’s definitely her.
She won’t be forgotten. x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 08:06:30 PM »

Me too. She is so brave and has done so much to highlight bowel cancer awareness.

My Late Mum had bowel cancer twice (different strains) and major surgery both times. I think it must have been 25 years when she first had it, then she was all ready for the all clear and just a few days short of 5 years and she got it again.  however, with hardly any colon and a stoma she lived to nearly 97.

Genetic counselling tells me I am at med-high risk of getting BC because of our family history so I get checked regularly and do the poo in the post tests.

All those years ago Mum knew something wasn’t right but the GPs kept saying it was diverticulitis and nothing to worry about. This went on for quite some time before she insisted she was examined. The GP did so and within seconds said he could feel a tumour and then sent her to hospital.

Also my friend died of BC at 51.  She hadn’t felt well for some time and went to the GP.  She was told not to worry. She went back several times and was told the same. Her sister then took over and insisted she was referred to hospital so 18 months after she first saw a GP she went and they told her she had stage 4 BC and there was nothing they could do.  She died a few months later and it was the most awful death. 

The key to BC is catching it early as it is one of the most preventable cancers if caught early.  GPs MUST refer people with symptoms to hospital for further investigation or we will continue to get all these preventable deaths.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 08:15:56 PM »

We must listen literally to our gut instinct!  The sooner diagnosis is made, the sooner options can be decided upon.

Sorry for your story PF.

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 08:29:21 PM »

I'm a great believer in attending all screening appointments (when invited) - breast, smear test and, since turning 50 seven years ago, the bowel screening. The latter is the easiest (no discomfort at all).  ;)
Catching cancer early is absolutely key..
Big hug 🫂 for you, PF xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 07:00:15 AM »

My MIL nursed her sister through bowel cancer years ago until her death. Her sister had ignored the symptoms and made MIL promise to go to the doctor if she had any symptoms, which she did a few years later. She did and survived. DH is checked regularly because of strong family history since he was 40. This involves the usual poo tests and a colonoscopy every 5 years.