Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Betablockers  (Read 2318 times)

holidaylover

Betablockers
« on: March 09, 2022, 06:32:09 PM »

My doctor has changed my betablocker from 1.25mg of bisoprolol a day to 45mg of propranolol a day. Bisoprolol was making no difference.   I started the propranolol this morning (and duly waited for much anticipated awful side effects).  However, I feel fine, although the palpitations, the reason why I am taking the pills, have been slightly worse today, along with my indigestion (for which I take lansoprazole daily).  For anyone who has taken these tablets, does anyone know if they take a wee while to work?  Also, has anyone taken a couple of glasses of wine with propranolol and lived to tell the tale?  I know you are best not to drink at all with the tablets but I enjoy a couple of glasses with my evening meal.  The wine and the bisoprolol were fine!  Thanks ladies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Betablockers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 07:11:24 PM »

From 2002 I used Propranolol to ease early morning anxiety surges.  Initially 80mg 3 times a day for 4 weeks the down to 40mg twice a day followed by 20mg once a day for years. I stopped due to them causing headaches. 

I don't drink.  End of.  If I know that a medication would interact with alcohol, I wouldn't consider it.  But that might be another problem if you have to make a decision  :-\

holidaylover

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 07:29:01 PM »

Gosh CKLD, 80mg 3 x a day, that's a high dose is it not?  As long as they do their job that's the main thing.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 07:40:57 PM »

It was but necessary at the time.  They worked, that's the main thing.

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 08:17:55 PM »

It's probably your body just getting used to a different drug, I would give it chance to settle. I know plenty of people who drink and take beta blockers.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 08:36:45 PM »

Hi Holidaylover
I have taken Propranolol 10 mg daily for many years
 ( I am a very small frame so this works for me )
and I’m partial to the odd glass 😉 xx

holidaylover

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 11:38:32 AM »

Thanks everyone,
I'm still taking the betablockers, but am still getting the palpitations, so don't know what's next.  Telephone appointment with doctor on Tuesday.  I'm having my wine at the weekend, and to be honest, the palpitations are there whether I drink or don't.  (Although a tad worse after wine along with worsened indigestions type pain).  I still think the palps are connected in some way to my gut problem but the doctors dont think so!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 12:35:28 PM »

Cut out the alcohol ?  When do you take the BBs?  I would take mine in t he evening to ease those early morning surges.  Remind which dose you've been prescribed?

holidaylover

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 12:55:19 PM »

CKLD, I take the betablocker in the morning.  I take 40mg of Propranolol.  And nope, I love my wine, so not going to cut it out.