Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Going backwards  (Read 1790 times)

Maple

Going backwards
« on: March 09, 2022, 11:23:16 AM »

Hello ladies,
Forgive my indulgence... I need to moan(!). I’m 62, 3 years postmeno. I returned to hrt (Evorel Conti) 8 months ago following an 18month break due to a return of symptoms, hot flushes, night sweats, dizzy feeling and panic attacks. Sadly, the Evorel Conti isn’t as effective as it was first time around. The hot flushes and the night sweats are gone but I’m experiencing occasional bouts of dizziness. I’ve actually had vertigo too on waking but that was following a heavy cold. Panic attacks have increased considerably though along with anxiety. I panic about going out alone. I panic about driving. I worry about feeling ‘unwell’ whilst I’m out, alone. Of course nothing has happened to me when ‘out’ apart from shivers, which thankfully don’t last. I generally just feel really rubbish.
I know I need to go back to my GP but she refused me Ovestin alongside systemic hrt so I really don’t know what to expect. I guess I just need to be brave.
Mx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Going backwards
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »

She is so old fashioned and needs to stick her head down a loo whilst someone flushes it  >:(.   :bang:  I would want to know why she won't prescribe both!

Ring your Surgery today and ask for a referral to an NHS Menopause Clinic .  Is there another GP?  MayB buy a copy and read "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" written by a Forum Member: then hand to that particular GP. 

Vaginal Atrophy treatment is a separate oestrogen to other HRT and Dr Newson is trying to get the leaflet in the boxes of 'ovestin' and 'vagifem' altered. 

No need to BE BRAVE - ring the Surgery and ask to speak to a Nurse Practitioner and explain that a lady can certainly use HRT as well as VA treatment.  Add that you would like a referral to a menopause clinic, not a gynaecologist as they often don't know. nowt about VA!

Let us know how you get on. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:32:48 PM by CLKD »

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 12:28:11 PM »

Hello Maple and welcome to the forum.

I completely sympathise with your plight. I am 65 and many years post meno but my HRT doesn't seem to be helping with my emotional symptoms.

You may benefit from researching the different HRT treatments on this site and also looking at the Nice guidelines. I am a patient of Newson Health and their website also has excellent information. Lots of ladies say that being well informed when talking to their GP pays dividends so it is worth doing.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 12:35:35 PM »

Regardless of HRT , some ladies do require appropriate anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication along side.  I take ADs and have an emergency as-necessary anti-anxiety tablet to hand.

Hormones can cause mental health issues but HRT can be hit and miss in easing the symptoms.

Maple

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 01:11:18 PM »

CLKD and Kathleen,

Thank you so much. I will take your advice and have in fact, taken the first steps by booking an appointment (albeit a telephone consultation). In the meantime I will do my homework thoroughly in readiness for the call.

Thank you again,
Mx

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 01:44:47 PM »

Can you see a different gp? One who doesn't know some women require topical oestrogen as well as systemic is a bit too ignorant imo. Unfortunately evorel conti only comes in one strength so to increase you will need something different, perhaps evorel 75 with utrogeston but good advice to get yourself up to date with options.

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »

Hi Maple, it maybe that you need an anti depressant as CLKD points out. I was fine up until 63 on HRT alone but then like you I had the panicking about everything & also the "what ifs" I didn't want to drive anywhere different or see anybody that I hadn't seen for ages etc

If the HRT has eased your hot flushes then I'm not sure another type would help much :-\ :-\.

For years & years I was very anti AD's as a treatment for the menopause, I use to say "I'm not depressed I'm menopausal so give me HRT not AD's" - but I have been on Citalopram since July last year & they have certainly helped with my nerves.

As for Ovestin not to be used with HRT now that is a joke.

Good luck Maple, stay firm but polite & make sure you don't leave until the GP has listened to your concerns.
Cazi x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »

make a list to discuss on the 'phone call ?

Maple

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 04:23:48 PM »

Dear ladies, what can I say? I’m blown away by all your responses. Everyone of you has offered such kind, sound advice. ADs have never been a consideration as prior to this menopause journey I’ve always been very ‘laid back’, how things change!! I will now make sure I am well prepared (and with a list) for the phone call.
Thank you for such wonderful support.

Mx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 05:32:02 PM »

U will let us know how you get on?

Maple

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »

I will. Once again, huge thanks.

Mx