Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Help! Spotting after HRT for over 6 mths - Evorel 75 & Utrogestan  (Read 738 times)

Teresa

Hi,

I hope someone can help or has been in a similar position. I’m post menopausal, 56, and have been on continuous HRT since last August. I started with a duo pill combination for a month, but didn’t get on with it, stopped that for 2 weeks then went on Evorel patches/Estradot patches since beginning September. I’ve upped the patches from 37.5, to 50 during first 3 months, due to symptoms and low Estrogen levels showing on a blood test and have now been on Evorel75 for just over 3 months. I was also originally on Estradot but when it was out of stock, I was prescribed Evorel, but now realise through trial and error that I absorb better from Evorel.

I was doing fine, I have had no breakthrough bleeding, only a tiny amount around October last year.

I have fibroids and have had them for past few years ( ultrasound scan found them a couple of years ago)

I am just over three weeks into my Seventh box of patches. To make it more complicated, I asked if I could start my 7th month with a box of Estradot patches, as they’re smaller and thought I’d be ok, as the Evorel are so big. After 4 patches over two weeks, I quickly saw that my old symptoms were returning, I had a lot of dark hair keep appearing on my top lip, which I haven’t had for months and I was starting to experience more anxiety and hot flushes again. I asked for Evorel again, so for the past week, I’ve been back on that and it’s already helped again, so I shall stick with it this time.

However, yesterday and today I’ve had a brown discharge/blood breakthrough. ??? There is more today than yesterday. I know what it is, as it reminds me of the spotting breakthrough bleeding I used to get years ago when I was on the mirena coil. I can’t have the mirena now, due to fibroids.

I have read the bad things it could be, but also that it could mean I am low on progesterone. I take a medication called carbemazepine ( been taking it many years) a very low dose, but it can affect the breakdown of progesterone so I could have less in my body. I did ask my GP, around three months ago when I was just started on the 75 if I should up the progesterone and I mentioned the carbemazepine interaction and he said no, it wasn’t needed. I’ve also asked another GP and she also wouldn’t increase the progesterone.

I’m going to call my GP for an appointment tomorrow of course, but I know this is all going to mean I need a scan etc….I just wondered if anyone else has been in a similar position?

Thankyou all,
Teresa

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 06:22:02 PM by Teresa »

Dotty

Re: Help! Spotting after HRT for over 6 mths - Evorel 75 & Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 06:56:57 PM »

Hi breakthrough bleeding can be expected for up to 6 months every time you start a new dosage of oestrogen. X

Teresa

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 08:42:06 PM »

Hi Dotty,

Thankyou - I didn’t realise that….so because I’m on the 4th month of 75mcg it’s ok, even if I’ve been in HRT for over 7 months and only ever had spotting the first month?

Thankyou,

Teresa
X

Teresa

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 09:11:58 PM »

Hi All again,
Saw my GP today and she’s referred me for an urgent scan. I think because I haven’t bled for months, this is a problem that has to be investigated after all. She said it should be two weeks at most. She did try and do an internal to see my cervix but she couldn’t find it  :-\ it wasn’t a surprise, as I’ve had nurses try and perform smears and give up because they can’t find it. Eventually another tries and finds it! I’ve had nurses even ask me where it is! My womb is very tilted and far back. It’s something additional now for the hospital to check if/when they do an ultra sound.

Teresa

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »

It’s best to get things checked. x