Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Navigating prescriptions from GP and Private  (Read 857 times)

Louise2010

Navigating prescriptions from GP and Private
« on: March 07, 2022, 05:21:45 PM »

I currently am on oestrogel from the gp  (was on utrogestan but recently had sub total hysterectomy) and testosterone via private prescription.
It was a real battle to get HRT from the gp but I’ve been on it now for around 5 years and the addition of testosterone last year was really helpful.
The very understanding doctor I saw at a (very well known) private menopause clinic has left although she’s still listed on their website 🤔and I’ve been asked to have another consultation with another doctor there before he will issue another prescription. I understand they want to be safe etc but nothing has changed & I will be paying £200 for that conclusion to be made!

For those of you who get your testosterone from a private clinic are you asked to regularly have check ups, reviews in order to get your prescription? If yes how often ?

How long are you able to take HRT for? I’m concerned a gp is going to ask me to stop taking it whereas I spoke to another private gp who said he had patients on it in their 80s! Any ideas?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Navigating prescriptions from GP and Private
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 05:29:41 PM »

As long as the body is well and the patient understands the small % of risk, HRT can be taken for ever!

A face2Face appt with a Consultant starts a working relationship - it may however, be the excuse to charge you money!  I would be asking for a phone call ;-).

Could you get an appt at an NHS Menopause Clinic? 

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads, your NHS GP can prescribe treatment if required.

Louise2010

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 05:53:44 PM »

As long as the body is well and the patient understands the small % of risk, HRT can be taken for ever!

A face2Face appt with a Consultant starts a working relationship - it may however, be the excuse to charge you money!  I would be asking for a phone call ;-).

Could you get an appt at an NHS Menopause Clinic? 

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads, your NHS GP can prescribe treatment if required.

Yes I was afraid of that CLKD but not surprised! The receptionist is adamant about a new consultation 😫

I did ask a gp at the beginning of my HRT journey to be referred to a NHS menopause clinic, and she told me no. The reason she gave was that it was too far away. Yes true story.
I have a telephone review next week because I need to ask for more oestrogel. At the moment I get 2 bottles per script for 2 pumps a day. . Now I need I feel I need to up my dose & I never speak to the same gp so have to explain over and over again which literally has brought me to tears today just trying to get an appointment! However I’ve nothing to lose in asking again. Fingers crossed for an understanding gp 🤞🏻

I’m finding it very difficult, feeling quite depressed after surgery anyway but having to what feels like re negotiate is just dragging me down. I really don’t feel listened to. I thought I had it sussed : oestrogel from the gp testim from a private doctor but again the hoops are out to have to jump through it feels🙁

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 05:54:18 PM »

My private consultant at Newson Health writes to my GP who is happy to prescribe testosterone. But ...  It isn't Androfemme, that is only available privately at the moment. I get Testim instead.

Louise2010

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »

My private consultant at Newson Health writes to my GP who is happy to prescribe testosterone. But ...  It isn't Androfemme, that is only available privately at the moment. I get Testim instead.

Hi Gnatty do you have to have regular consults/phone calls at the Newson practice in order to get your testim?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 06:51:11 PM »

Is there a GP with specific interest in women's health, as for a Clinic being too far away ...... that's the way it is.  I would ask again.  Is there a Nurse Practitioner who might give you more time?

Louise2010

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 07:02:34 PM »

Is there a GP with specific interest in women's health, as for a Clinic being too far away ...... that's the way it is.  I would ask again.  Is there a Nurse Practitioner who might give you more time?

I have asked for an appointment with a GP with special interest in women’s health but telephone appointments are with the duty doctor available apparently. The earliest I could get a telephone appointment was in a week.
I can certainly ask about this and a nurse practitioner. Maybe I need to look at how I’m asking or my attitude? Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Gnatty

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 07:06:53 PM »

No I don't. My GP is happy to continue to prescribe.