Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New To The HRT World  (Read 950 times)

TraceyDenise

• First Flush
New To The HRT World
« on: February 28, 2022, 04:03:35 PM »

Hi all, I've recently been diagnosed with being perimenopausal, and have been been prescribed Elleste Duet 2mg HRT tablets. I've been taking it almost 4 weeks now but am really struggling with the side effects. I feel really bloated all the time, have had bouts of constipation, have bouts of brain fog and have put on several pounds in weight and I generally feel under the weather. Is this normal ?, will these symptoms pass at some point ?. Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New To The HRT World
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 04:16:27 PM »

Could you ask for patches rather than tablets?

:welcomemm: some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  I hate that bloated feeling, too many pumpkin seeds at breakfast cause it, which I've taken 3 months to realise  >:(  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 05:12:10 PM »

Hi Traceydenise

:welcomemm: from me too.

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself in terms of menopause - how old you are, what your periods and cycles and bleeds were doing in the months leading up to starting HRT?

When you say diagnosed with peri-menopause - if you are over 45 and still have a womb, not on POP etc then this is diagnosed on the basis of your cycle length changing, combined with symptoms.

Re side effects - how we advise you will depend to some extent on your answers to the Qs but as a general priniciple it is usually advised to give HRT 3 months before deciding to alter dose or type - to give side effects a chance to settle. If these persist you could try a different type eg Femoston which is better-tolerated by some women.

Hurdity x

TraceyDenise

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 03:57:12 PM »

Hi Hurdity, I am 52 and I don't experience periods any more as I have taking Desogestrel 75mg contraceptive tablets for a couple of years now.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 09:46:49 AM »

Ah I see. Then one reason for your ongoing symptoms could well be far too much progestogen - which can give rise to unpleasant side effects. You just don't need that much.

Have you thought of having a Mirena coil instead? Or the contraceptive pill that contains estradiol too like QLAIRA or ZOELY? Also I have heard of women being prescribe double desogestrel to use as part of HRT so you could add oestrogen only alongside - but this would be very much off licence and under proper medical supervision to ensure the endometrium was protected?

Hurdity x

TraceyDenise

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 03:28:30 PM »

Hi Hurdity, you've been really helpful,  I will speak to my doctor this week about changing medication  :) :)