Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy-Progesterone should you be using it!  (Read 1798 times)

Marchlove

Hysterectomy-Progesterone should you be using it!
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:30:04 PM »

Just came across this article which might be useful to some.
I’m not in this situation, but I do have a friend who is and was taking oestrogel only, 2 pumps and suffering from bad anxiety.
She recently started an OTC progesterone cream and has seen some marked improvements.

https://www.redlinepharmacy.com/progesterone-postmenopausal-hysterectomized-patients/

Amazing grace

Re: Hysterectomy-Progesterone should you be using it!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 08:58:16 PM »

Hi, thanks for posting the link, I did have a hysterectomy 4 years ago retaining ovaries, but have really struggled to feel good on estrogen only hrt, fortunately I found the hystersisters site (usa) and over there its very common to use progesterone after hysterectomy, doctors in uk almost laugh at you for wanting to try progesterone after a hysterectomy, I resorted to buying otc progesterone from America still early days but since using it I've found sleep and anxiety is much better, so definitely think it's worth bringing it to the attention of ladies who have had a hysterectomy and struggle on estrogen only hrt, thanks for posting the link I'm sure others will find it helpful and interesting. X

Dawnp

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 09:01:38 PM »

I haven’t had a hysterectomy but have really struggled with anxiety on hrt. And struggle with progesterone intolerance so only take Utrogestan vaginally every other night. Very tempted to try some otc cream just to see if it helps the anxiety. If you wouldn’t mind letting me know which one you use I might have a read up on it.

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 09:14:27 PM »

My friend uses Biovea product I believe. Also, just found this

https://www.bodylogicmd.com/blog/the-benefits-of-progesterone-treatment-after-hysterectomy/

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »

I am on oestrogen only HRT following hysterectomy and dont use progesterone mainly due to the slight breast cancer risk being raised on combined HRT. I do wonder if I'd benefit though.

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »

Ditto Taz2. I felt there had to be some benefit from going through that operation. I have a consultation with Jill Crowfoot early April from Newson Health. I will ask her the question and report back. Tbh I am feeling pretty well now and would be hesitant to rock the boat. But... I take 15 mg Mirtazapine too and would like to come off ideally so I guess that might rock the boat too...

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 08:12:31 AM »

It will be interesting to see what she says.

Taz x

Louise2010

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 09:14:53 AM »

I’d be interested to know what she says too Gnatty. I always found too much progesterone (when I took utrogestan) made me ratty but just a small amount (ie day 2 of taking it) I felt balanced, calm & slept really well.

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 12:21:40 PM »

Progesterone cream is easy to buy online so why not try it and see if you feel any therapeutic benefits?

Synthetic progesterone is not beneficial other than for womb protection but natural progesterone has a calming effect and aids sleep.

100mg Utrogestan dose is way too high in one hit which is why so many women struggle with it.

Gnatty

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 01:30:17 PM »

Which brand would you recommend?

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 02:56:09 PM »

I use compounded progesterone drops which are produced in a pharmacy but there are others on MM who buy progesterone cream online so hopefully someone will recommend a brand.

Jasmine20

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 03:41:43 PM »

I've used Ona's natural progesterone cream which claims to be micronised. The company has a UK based store with prices in sterling but there have often been delays in getting the product shipped even though it is supposed to be in stock.

For this reason I had to cancel an order last year and have been reluctant to go back and try to purchase their products again. I purchased the 10% cream at a time when I wasn't tolerating the Utrogestan at all. I found it did have a definite sedative and calming effect.

Emerita, Biovea and LifeFlo are other brands that I've purchased in the past but the amount per dose is lower (usually 20mg) so I went for something stronger. I also recently purchased BioMatrix Pro-Adapt drops but found I got bladder soreness using that product.

I'm back to taking conventional HRT so using Utrogestan again. I have my uterus and didn't want to risk using OTC creams with systemic estradiol.