Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: To coil or not to coil, that is the question.  (Read 688 times)

Emo10

To coil or not to coil, that is the question.
« on: March 04, 2022, 12:36:33 PM »

Hi,

I'm after some advice from you wise people!

I've been in perimenopause for a few years now but have been suffering significantly for the last 14 months. I've had to use a private clinic who have advised me to have a mirena coil as I was having heavy very frequent periods.

However, due to the sedate nature of the NHS I haven't yet had the coil fitted. In the meantime my periods have changed significantly (lighter etc) and the gaps between them have grown and are starting to be missed.

Would you suggest I continue with the process of getting the coil fitted for the progesterone or explore other progesterone options?

Thanks in advance

Emma

sheila99

Re: To coil or not to coil, that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:45:46 PM »

Are you taking oestrogen? If not the mirena may thin the lining too much now. As part of hrt it should be OK though probably no reason to choose the mirena over other progestogens.

Emo10

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 02:26:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I don't currently take oestrogen but the gynaecologist who is going to fit my coil has advised I get that in place before it is fitted in April. My Dr's were reluctant to give me oestrogen without the coil in situ.

LucyLoo

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 09:47:19 PM »

Hi Emma,

I have the mirena coil and use 4 pumps of oestrogel which has been a great combination for me (I'm peri menopausal and low mood and exhaustion were my main symptoms).

Before having the coil fitted, I tried utrogestan for 7-10 days a month (alongside oestrogel every day) but I struggled with the side effects - which were low mood and exhaustion for me. I prefer the coil as the dose of progesterone that goes into your blood stream is very low so I don't get the progesterone side effects. I also don't have periods any more. However you might want to try a different progesterone first to see how you get on?

I did have quite a lot of problems getting the coil fitted - two GPs tried and failed to get it in as I have a backwards tilting uterus. In the end I had a general anaesthetic and a hysteroscopy (as needed a polyp removed) and they fitted the coil then.

I feel very lucky that the coil has really suited me - I was very nervous before having it fitted after reading lots of negative reviews. But for me (and I believe I am sensitive to progesterone) it has been brilliant. I will definitely get another one fitted when this one runs out!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 09:57:36 PM »

I would go back to your gp, there are many other options for hrt that don't require a mirena.