Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Severe painful cramps since starting HRT, help....  (Read 1136 times)

geminij

• First Flush
Severe painful cramps since starting HRT, help....
« on: March 01, 2022, 09:07:24 AM »

Hi, I'm a newbie, first posting here.  I've been on HRT patches for a month now, yet I am finding the side effects so bad I don't know whether to continue or not.
 I was prescribed Evorel Conti patches by my Dr... the first Dr I saw told me to change the patch daily & place it on my upper arm, after I read the info leaflet I contacted the chemist who said the leaflet was correct ( change 2 x weekly & wear below the waistline)  I decided not to start the patches until I saw a different Dr as I was concerned whether I had even been given the right patch for my symptoms (severe brain fog, mainly night sweats, facial hair, tiredness) , I was reassured I was on the correct patch & bloods were taken to check my testestorone levels (which were really good the Dr said).  I wanted to ensure I would not gain weight as I'm already pre-diabetic & struggling to lose weight even though I exercise daily & eat a relatively healthy diet, I was told this was not a problem with the patch either.
However, since starting the patch, I feel more bloated, rings are tight to wear & waistbands are tight (some clothes no longer fit).  Even more concerning is that I have such bad cramps, like very severe period pains, a little in my stomach but really painful in my upper legs, it's not only keeping me awake at night (I suffer enough from insomnia without this) but they are so bad during the day as well I am having to continually take painkillers that are just taking the edge off, and it's making me struggle to concentrate at work.
I noticed that my patch came off overnight yesterday, I didn't bother to reapply another & managed a pain-free day yesterday, however the cramps resumed overnight :(  I used to suffer from severe period pain / cramps & clots but have not had a period or any symptoms in 7 years since I had an operation.
I am trying to get a consultation with my Dr surgery to discuss, but thought I'd ask here for any advice meanwhile? 
Thank you :)

Gingercatmom

Re: Severe painful cramps since starting HRT, help....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »

Hi there, I'm also new here and new to all this menopause stuff too. I've a lot to learn. I recently stopped HRT after only 6 weeks as I felt quite poorly. However I did have midcyle period cramps and still do. It's like a low griping pain, like my periods going to come. I'm not due on yet for another week or so x

Sez

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:01:50 PM »

Wow this is me severe leg ache on the top part my upper thigh leg I’ve contacted doctor today and having consultation on Thursday a different doc as mine as no appointment till 16 th think they said , it’s horrendous I have to been awake all night the ache was constant and I’ve been on evorel conti patches for year nearly now never experienced anything like it .

geminij

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »

Please let me know what your Dr advises, I've tried speak to a Dr for the last 3 days but keep getting told to call back and try again as there is no appointments this month!  I've not had a patch on since Sunday, but I am struggling to hold back the tears I am having such discomfort from the cramps, painkillers are useless. 
I don't know whether to just give up on HRT or whether another type of product may be better suited - if the cramps were to settle down fair enough, but I can't afford to keep putting on weight as already have went up a dress size in a month, financially & healthwise (pre diabetic & need to keep weight in check) I can't afford more weight gain.