Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advised not to take HRT  (Read 981 times)

Poppy

Advised not to take HRT
« on: March 01, 2022, 06:58:47 PM »

Hi everyone, I have been 2 years post menopause & feel my symptoms are worse now than when I was going through the peri menopause. I am really struggling with a multitude of horrible symptoms to function day & night. I had a telephone appointment today with my GP when I told her I was considering HRT she said I couldn’t take it because i have multiple fibroids & the estrogen in the HRT would just make them grow bigger. She just told me to up my dose of antidepressants. Has anyone else had this issue & what did you take to help symptoms xx

Dotty

Re: Advised not to take HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 07:06:48 PM »

Hi have a look at this article from Dr Newson’s website about fibroids and menopause and HRT.  Your GP has given you incorrect information. X

https://www.balance-menopause.com/menopause-library/fibroids-and-the-menopause/

Poppy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:20:46 PM »

Thank you Dotty for this interesting  information you’ve sent me, it’s given me a bit of hope, I think I need to see another doctor x

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »

I think that it varies. My fibroid I feel did grow once I increased the amount of oestrogen I took and ended up having a hysterectomy.  You could keep an eye on it with regular scans. Tbh I wasn't worried about having a hysterectomy as I was still having really heavy periods and was glad to get rid of it all!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 07:54:15 PM »

Your GP is wrong to offer ADs rather than referring you to an NHS menopause clinic.  Ring in the morning and ask for a referral.  You should not have to pay though many have waiting lists.  At the very least she should have referred you to a gynaecologist to check the fibroids. 

Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be useful. 

Let us know how you get on.  No woman should have to put up with menopause symptoms that impinge of life style! 

Jett

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 05:57:03 PM »

Hi Poppy,

I have fibroids too and am trying half an Evorel conti patch (so continued Oestrogen and Progesterone) I have only been taking it 5 weeks but (touch wood) so far the fibroids feel ok.  I tried just the estrogen patch but it flared them up instantly and I was in a lot of pain within a week.

If you are post meno, the continuous patch is what you would be recommended I think anyway.  It’s really subtle and I am still not sleeping but I have mental clarity which I am now realising I have not had in several years.  It has also helped with anxiety.  Still getting flushes but it’s a big improvement.

Even if you could try this really low dose it may help you.

I am on the waiting list for Dr Newsom’s clinic and I am going to ask specifically about fibroids so I will share any info I get on this site as I have had different advice from different doctors.

Take care,

Jx