Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thyroid  (Read 2108 times)

Geordieclaire73

Thyroid
« on: March 02, 2022, 09:00:13 AM »

Hi so I finally did a private test through medichecks on my thyroid as I was getting symptoms.  My gp said thyroid levels were fine.. nothing wrong..wellll got results this normal ..levels are in normal range but my antibodies are raised.  Thyroglobulin is 154.   And thyroid peroxidase is 36 !!  I've also got Low folate and borderline Vitim d even though I'm on Vitim d from gp... Report is mentioning regular monitoring and speak with go if got symptoms which are anxiety irritability nervousness fast heart rate,cold hands feet, horrendous mood IE grumpy snappy Claire 🙈.hate heat...sweats,...I go through phases well I'm either go slow or go fast ...does anyone else have this.  Also any help advice would be great xx

Nik2502

Re: Thyroid
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 12:54:25 PM »

Hi Claire

I think some of my menopause symptoms are due to an under active thyroid but my doctor won’t have it as my results are just in the normal range. I was thinking of having a full panel done privately.
I never usually feel cold but I have been for the past six months or so, can’t lose weight, feel anxious and tearful, tired etc
I’ve also got low folate, vitamin B12 and D!

Nicola (fellow Geordie) x

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 01:34:30 PM »

Oh, group hug on the "normal range" thing, the very words trigger a me I barely recognise. I've just been down this route only this morning with the gp so that thyroid can be investigated. I asked if "free" levels were tested or totals and was told that if, wait for it, the initial test came back "in the normal range", no further testing would be necessary. It's ludicrous having to pay for what is more accurate and informative testing and then would one be into private prescriptions, too, possibly not covered otherwise as outwith the outcomes found at base level? Hmmmmm.....🤔

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 01:49:00 PM »

Yes big group hug indeed!
I’m afraid there is no other option at the moment other than getting your own private testing done and bombarding your Gp with the information to see if they’ll play ball!
I would encourage people in this situation to also buy the book “Stop the Thyroid Madness”.
The threshold for the infamous TSH test is a lot lot lower in the states, I believe 2.5! So even that inadequate test is not being used correctly.
I truly believe that the reason why us MM members continue to struggle on hrt whilst others to to sail through with no problems is that about 20% of us have thyroid and/or adrenal issues which aren’t adequately addressed or supported. xx

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 05:02:46 PM »

Thankyou for replies...has anyone else had this.  Normal reading. This time but it's up and down and antibodies are raised?

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 10:51:35 AM »

I had levels within limits but my gp said she always treats low levels as can lead to heart problems later on plus all the other issues .

This test is apparently a good indicator if you need supplementing:

Take your temperature every morning on wakening and if it’s below “ normal “ 10 days on trot you need treating .

Mine was 34 on wakening ! I’m now 36 degrees and got there after about 2 years on thyroxine .

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 04:53:28 PM »

Thanks for your reply...it's so Interesting about temperature as it's been really low lately.  I still get flushes with menopause but I've been so cold lately.  Cold hands and feet as well...

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 04:57:23 PM »

Spoke to go today said I'm in normal range so monitor every year !!!! As I'm definitely a higher risk of developing a thyroid problem...but it's probably something else causing it 🤷...my last three thyroid tests have been up and down... medichecks report says both antibodies are raised and could be either graves disease or hashimo...anyone else had problems with go and Normal results.  But high antibodies...I'm thinking of going private..don't think I can put up with these symptoms for another year 😩

AKatieD

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 11:41:15 PM »

Raised antibodies means you have Hashimotos disease (form of hypothyroidism).

My g.p.tried to fob me off with the blood results are normal so no problem thing. He made like I was making a fuss about nothing until I pointed out the raised antibodies and he kind of went "oh yeh, suppose you are hypothyroid then" or words to that effect.  But I had to get my own Medichecks testing done as he could not get the NHS to complete the appropriate tests - even if he specified them they would only test TSH.

Then gp would only treat with T4 (levothyroxine) which does not work for me.

End result is that I had to learn all about it and manage myself now. Good training for wading through the HRT maze!

pepperminty

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 05:24:39 PM »

Raised antibodies means you have Hashimotos disease (form of hypothyroidism).

My g.p.tried to fob me off with the blood results are normal so no problem thing. He made like I was making a fuss about nothing until I pointed out the raised antibodies and he kind of went "oh yeh, suppose you are hypothyroid then" or words to that effect.  But I had to get my own Medichecks testing done as he could not get the NHS to complete the appropriate tests - even if he specified them they would only test TSH.

Then gp would only treat with T4 (levothyroxine) which does not work for me.

End result is that I had to learn all about it and manage myself now. Good training for wading through the HRT maze!

Hi AkatieD - I am going to get tested through medichecks too for thyroid as my Gp ids useless. May I ask why the GP will only treat with T4 and where would you learn how to manage it?

Many thanks PM

AKatieD

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 08:35:53 PM »

There are some good websites such as Stop the Thyroid Madness and Thyroid Uk that will tell you what you need to know.

STTM good for optimal ranges and wide ranging info. TUK good info on Uk blood testing companies and they have a HealthUnlocked self help group.

NHS/NICE have decided in their wisdom that one size fits all as far as thyroid is concerned and their advice and training for gps is to prescribe T4 only. The various patient groups have challenged this because it blantantly does not suit everyone  but T4 is cheap and T3 dear so it is an uphill battle.

Natural desicated thyroid used to be treatment of choice as it has a mix of all the thyroid hormones, but in the last few years some firms have had trouble with quality and it has become unreliable.

Marchlove

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2022, 08:41:53 PM »

Thank you AKatieD, very useful information.
What are the names of the patient groups that we might all be able to support in this endeavour in some way?
Would this be the way forward for those of us who are interested in this? x

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 11:53:38 PM »

Thanks so .much for your replies.  I feel awful. Symptoms r getting to me.  Today I'm feeling really cold.  One minute I feel like I'm on a go fast. Next I've switched and I'm going slow.  It's all so confusing and GP just says have another test in a year.   I had to pay with medichecks to get this one done.  It's so frustrating...can't wait a year feeling like this

AKatieD

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 08:55:06 AM »

Links for thyroid health.

There are lots out there but these are the main 2 that I use and trust

Stop the Thyroid Madness website here
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/
And their group is here
https://groups.io/groups

Thyroid UK main site here
https://thyroiduk.org/
And support group here: