Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Has anyone noticed slow swallowing with menopause?  (Read 4009 times)

Joesmum

Has anyone noticed slow swallowing with menopause?
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

It's as though my mouth and tongue have forgotten how to do it.
I also get this with low thyroid but it definitely cant be linked to that at the moment.
It's not the throat area. It's trying to engage my brain to engage my mouth.
It's as though the reflex action is impaired.
I do have low grade anxiety ALL the time at the moment. No respite what so ever. A burning tongue, tingling tongue.mild headache and balance issues. Plus I'm a fully paid up member of the wide awake club!  These are my staple menopause symptoms.

I've recently come off Tibolone. Had a dreadful time with it. Tried estrogel. Made me depressed. Back to 50mcg EVOREL patches which are not strong enough but will have to do because the 75mcg patches make me wired, angry and panicky. Not a good combination .......to live with😳!
So clearly my HRT isn't strong enough so this blasted swallowing issue has appeared.
As I said. I do get it with thyroid but it only happens when my levels are very low.
Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:08:19 PM by Joesmum »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Has anyone noticed slow swallowing with menopause?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »

Yep.  In recent weeks.  For years Mum has had a glass of cold water by her plate to aid swallowing ...... now I have found that my brain seems to forget how ?  :-\ ?

Bane

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »

My aunt told me about the same symptoms but she use to blame her meds for that

sue bot

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »

Hi all I chocked on some pizza last year it was scary as it got stuck never felt I was going move it since then I am really careful how I eat was terrible at first I am in full blown memo hot flushes aces and pains I have fybomaliga and arthritis  in  jaw which affects my chewing I don't like eating out now and bad anxiety
Doctor gave me Prozac which I took for a couple weeks but stop as I did not want to depend on them how have you over come your swallowing

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »

Prozac made me  :rant:

I ate a dry curry last night with freshly cooked rice and needed a bottle of 'coke' to hand.

Lazydaze

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »

Yes, in fact I was referred for an endoscopy i was suffering so much. I have discovered that menopause affects the mucus linings, whatever they are called, and that does impact on swallowing.  There are SO many symptoms related to menopause which we do not realise are associated with it!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »

Until they happen  >:(  ::) ....... as oestrogen levels drop off so the body dries, inside and out .......... also muscles may become lax = aches and pains ...... bugga  :whist:

Jjumper

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 07:39:47 PM »

Hi Joesmum, it’s ages since you posted this message about slow swallowing so you may not see my message but thought it worth a try! I have exactly what you describe! When I try to explain it, people always think I have issues with my throat but is not there - it is initiating the swallow very much in my mouth.  I have had this problem for three years now, every single meal. I have developed so many coping skills and ways of getting the swallow going in that time. In the first few months it got so bad and freaked me out so much (I was also suffering anxiety at the time) I went on SSRIs (I thought it was anxiety-related) which I have recently gone off. The swallowing issue was there the whole time I was on anti-depressants but it didn’t bother me. Now that I’m off them it bothers me again. Anyway, I am convinced it is related to perimenopause - I am 44 and can trace lots of peri symptoms back to being 38 but doctors have never believed me. Although I have hope for a new GP at my practice and I am going for thyroid and hormone blood tests soon so we will see what they bring back. I’m not on HRT or any other medication. Just wondering how you are doing with this strange and annoying swallowing issue…