Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hair dry frizzy and horrible  (Read 4822 times)

Jett

Hair dry frizzy and horrible
« on: March 01, 2022, 11:24:39 AM »

This feels like a bit of a “first world problems” post compared to the serious and debilitating symptoms in here.

My dry frizzy crazy hair is really getting me down, it’s like a cross between a Brillo pad and a mop.

Has anyone tried any of the keratin or smoothing treatments the hairdressers offer for megabucks?  I am wondering if they help or if they potentially make it even worse when it washes out?

Any secrets to making me less Worzle Gummidge would be most appreciated!

Jxx

Gracie

Re: Hair dry frizzy and horrible
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 12:13:24 PM »

You sound like my sister  :)
Have you tried hair tongs to straighten. Anything the hairdresser uses you can buy yourself to smooth out the frizz but it would be temporary and will leave your hair greasy and needing more washing, that was my experience in the past.
Not an easy answer to this one, but I did find the hair tongs the best at controlling my mop of long frizzy, curly hair.

QueenofReds3

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 12:24:45 PM »

Hi Jet

My DD has thick dry curly hair and uses Shea Moisture products, they work wonders on her hair. Feel unique have a discount any those products at the moment. I cannot use herbal essence shampoos they make my hair like a bird nest. X

mandss

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 01:01:09 PM »

I use Philip Kingsleys elasticizer pre shampoo treatment. It is not cheap but a life saviour  I helps to build strength back into the hair as well as making it smoother. A good hair oil will also help. Another brilliant product is Colour wow dream coat. xx

Dada39

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

Hi there,
I like the lush candy rain conditioner.

I had this when I took oestrogel and Utrogestan not on oestrogel alone (but oestrogel made may hair fall). What a mess.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »

How often have you coloured your hair over the years, which can impact on the quality of it as we age.  My hairdresser told me that as we age hair follicles don't replace hair as often.  Mine is certainly thinning, also I need to wash it daily or it looks greasy. 

Last week one of the trainees was putting a colour/foil on the model, which was real hair.  The hair looked dreadful  :o because it's been coloured so often over the years.  Took me back a bit, I've noted too when out and about, that some ladies have frizzy hair and it is obvious from the roots that there has been a lot of colour over the years.  I am now liking my silver high-lights ;-).

How is your diet overall?  Ours is good, hasn't changed for years.  MayB put a conditioner on the ends for 10 mins prior to washing?  Hair is of course dead but a gentle conditioner will help.  Also when drying, do not use a hair dryer - pat gently with a warmed towel.  Don't rub.  In the 1960s/70s I had very long hair which I dried in front of the fire, slowly - took about 30 mins with a soft towel .  I stick to a warm towel these days, taking off the drips and allowing it to air dry.

It's about adjusting to the condition of the hair.  I also vary the shampoo and rarely condition because it's very short.  I use Johnsons Baby shampoo once a week.  A gentle brush and rarely use a comb.  Let us know how you get on.

Lyncola

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 06:23:00 AM »

I would just like to say I know how you feel. I have dry curly hair, and I live in Australia. Queensland which in summer with the humidity, my poor hair is so frizzy. I don’t really know if I should get Keratin, the money for one thing. And does it work? I’m thinking about trying shea leave in treatment.
I would love to have flat hair

Jellyb

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 08:52:35 AM »

I have tried Olaplex.  It's a bit pricey but you don't need to use it often, so a little bottle has lasted me a while.  You dampen the hair, slather the product on and leave it for about 20 mins then wash off as normal.  It does leave the hair feeling smoother and softer.  Many of the beauty/hairdressing supplies websites have offers on most of the time.

Jasmine20

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 02:44:53 PM »

My hair is normally wavy and thick and also turned into a mop despite HRT.

The product that made a difference was Olaplex 3 which I used twice weekly to start off with.

Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner is also good but it was Olaplex 3 that got stopped my hair tangling and it no longer feels like straw. I now use it once weekly.

Apparently Revolution Beauty make a good dupe for this in their Bond Plex range - I've yet to try it as I bought a large bottle of Olaplex on a Black Friday deal - but it's cheaper.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »

Bond Plex  :o .............  ;)

Tnx Girls.  All useful information  8)

Jett

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 05:02:07 PM »

Thank you all for the great advice and ideas!

I am going to try some of your suggestions before I go down the megabucks keratin route.

I will let you know how I get on with the various ideas.

My hair has been coloured over the years CLKD but I have been trying to do that less and am considering the natural silver highlights route if I can find a way to merge it in.

Thanks again everyone, really much appreciated xxx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »

When I dyed my hair my bathroom looked as though a murder had been committed  ;D.  My hairdresser did hi and low lights over about 5 years but not on a regular basis.  Most of the grey gets cut out these days, onto the salon floor  ::)

DH is silver, which looks very fetching  8)

Lyncola

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 04:47:47 AM »

As I said I live in Australia, was walking past a hairdresser that have advised a treatment that gets rid of frizzy hair, like keratin.
If you have curly hair the price starts at $420  :o which is about $228 pounds.
And I believe the treatment has to be three times a year or you will damage your hair if you do it anymore. That’s a lot of money

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 08:18:49 PM »

Mine looks awful unless I wash it daily but I really don't have time  :-\

Off to look for short hair ideas  ;D