Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause help pllleeeaase :-(  (Read 971 times)

Dee100

• First Flush
Menopause help pllleeeaase :-(
« on: March 01, 2022, 04:28:40 PM »

Am 50 years old, always struggled with my mental health, but recently feel I am going mad. Am done to about 4 hours sleep a night, hot sweats, no appetite, mood swings of the scale. A friend mentioned menopause, which I hadn't really even thought of. Have just done a home test and confirmed menopause, so will try and get to see my doctor. But any tips of advice really appreciated. Obviously all new and it's really set off my anxiety levels as I don't know what is the way forward. Hoping for some help xx

Flossieteacake

Re: Menopause help pllleeeaase :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 04:32:43 PM »

Hello Dee100. Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear of the symptoms you are having. I think it is a really good idea to talk to your doctor about treatment for menopause. HRT really helps with hot flushes. You will find a lot of information by browsing threads.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 04:33:20 PM »

Hi!  what do you mean by a 'home test'  :-\

:welcomemm:  how are your periods behaving? Perimenopause can begin 10 years B4 our last period, which is menopause proper.  Peri can cause all kinds of ups and downs: anxiety and depression; as oestrogen levels drop the body can become dry, inside and out  :o - skin, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina, anus, legs, scalp ...... and muscles may become dry = aches and pains.  The Change: does what it says on the tin  >:(

Browse round.  Make notes.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  You are not going mad though lack of sleep for various reasons is common.  We have threads on that1.

HRT can ease anxiety though if you have long-term problems I suggest an anti-anxiety medication.  I had Propranolol betablockas to ease early morning surges, as well as anti-depressants (B4 peri began) and an anti anxiety as necessary pill to swallow.  Sorted. Mainly  ::)

Do make a list B4 you speak to a GP - is there 1 with an interest in women's health at your Practice, you should be able to find out by their website.

Dee100

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 04:42:52 PM »

Thank you so much for reply. I did a 'wee on stick' test.... :). I haven't had periods for about 4 years now. I really appreciate the comfort, I do feel like I am going mad, I literally burst into tears for absolutely no reason, everything is an uphill battle. As I say I always struggled with my mental health, so I had put it down to that. The lack of sleep is becoming a massive issue, I lie in bed literally in tears as I am that exhausted but yet can't sleep. Will have a read through the forum. But actually comforting thar I am not going mad x

Dee100

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »

So is the body temperature a common symptom??? Am literally sweating buckets in bed one minute, the freezing cold then next.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 04:46:00 PM »

Thank you so much for reply. I did a 'wee on stick' test.... :). I haven't had periods for about 4 years now. I really appreciate the comfort, I do feel like I am going mad, I literally burst into tears for absolutely no reason, everything is an uphill battle. As I say I always struggled with my mental health, so I had put it down to that. The lack of sleep is becoming a massive issue, I lie in bed literally in tears as I am that exhausted but yet can't sleep. Will have a read through the forum. But actually comforting thar I am not going mad x

You are not going mad. You are experiencing all sorts of changes which is having an effect on your mood. I know what you mean as I have always struggled with mental health and have found going through this has made it worse. Not sleeping well is awful. I always feel so low when I cannot sleep. You will find lots of support on here.  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 04:46:37 PM »

So is the body temperature a common symptom??? Am literally sweating buckets in bed one minute, the freezing cold then next.

Oh yes. Lots of hot and  old flushes. It is very annoying!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »

'wee on a stick'  :-\ - at my age, I would miss the stick completely  ::)

Keeping well hydrated as well as eating little and often can help.  It can ease anxiety. 

Some find a 'chillow' pillow or a small whizzy thing ? fan ? is the word I might be looking for, useful for by the bed or in the handbag.  Keeping the rooms well aired.  Sometimes the body thermostat goes awry  ::)

Sez

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 07:09:04 PM »

Hi 👋
I was exactly the same hot sweats , facial hair growth , low mood , depressed and anxiety, and had no period for a year at the time then the doctor did blood tests and said I peri menopause and put me on evorel conti patches been good so far since last April I started now I’m getting side effects again low mood feeling depressed and anxiety even suicidal thoughts to which isn’t me usually but all this taking a toll on me and other underlying health issues I have with my gut 😢