Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hot flashes and night sweats from too much estrogel?  (Read 1615 times)

SandJ

Hot flashes and night sweats from too much estrogel?
« on: February 28, 2022, 09:24:10 PM »

My menopause was over some years ago -  I started HRT in 2017, taking 2-3 pumps estrogel and one micronised progesterone.

Recently I started having night sweats, and then just feeling overheated, to hot flashes in the past 3 months. My serum oestradiol level was tested in early Jan at 700 pmol/L [114.0 - 332.0] and Serum progesterone level 4.7 nmol/L [13.1 - 46.3].

My GP suggested going from 3 to two pumps of Oestrogel, and doubling my dose of micronised progesterone. I had boods taken last week. Serum oestradiol level  is now 600 pmol/L and progesterone is 10.5, so some improvement, but I'm still getting hot flashes and am v. sensitive to being overheated (eg hot tea).

I'm wondering if others have had this situation. As a by-the-by, I had both ovaries out 3 weeks ago (plus ovarian cyst).

Thanks!

Dandelion

Re: Hot flashes and night sweats from too much estrogel?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 03:32:58 AM »

My menopause was over some years ago -  I started HRT in 2017, taking 2-3 pumps estrogel and one micronised progesterone.

Recently I started having night sweats, and then just feeling overheated, to hot flashes in the past 3 months. My serum oestradiol level was tested in early Jan at 700 pmol/L [114.0 - 332.0] and Serum progesterone level 4.7 nmol/L [13.1 - 46.3].

My GP suggested going from 3 to two pumps of Oestrogel, and doubling my dose of micronised progesterone. I had boods taken last week. Serum oestradiol level  is now 600 pmol/L and progesterone is 10.5, so some improvement, but I'm still getting hot flashes and am v. sensitive to being overheated (eg hot tea).

I'm wondering if others have had this situation. As a by-the-by, I had both ovaries out 3 weeks ago (plus ovarian cyst).

Thanks!
As you reduced from 3 pumps oestrogel to 2, could the lesser amount of oestrogen be causing the flushes?

I had to reduce my oestrogen due to bleeding. The flushes never came back, as I was further through menopause, but night sweats did, not a big problem, though, just wondering, as when I did have flushes years ago, increase in oestrogen cleared them.

SandJ

Re: Hot flashes and night sweats from too much estrogel?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »

The flushes started to decrease in the last few weeks after reducing the pumps to 1