Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello, all! Nice to meet you  (Read 2056 times)

Purplesu

• First Flush
Hello, all! Nice to meet you
« on: February 28, 2022, 07:35:30 PM »

Hi

How are you all?

I'm 48 yo, still having my regular periods with the occasional fluctuation. Usually 2 days of intense flow and 2 days of very light bleeding.
I was told I'm probably a year away from full-blown menopause. For the last 3/4 years, I've felt different especially emotionally. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my life, but this is a whole new level of crazy - anxiety is through the roof, hypochondria, fear, anger, mood swings. My hair and skin feel much drier. I feel a bit incontinent at times. Sleep can be hard sometimes. I don't have night sweats, but my body overheats at night and I wake up with heart palpitations. It's been scary.
Most of the time you try to get a GP appointment, if it "isn't urgent or serious" they won't see you.
Anyway, I'm hoping I can learn from others going through the same issues.

Hope you are all well this evening x

Flossieteacake

Re: Hello, all! Nice to meet you
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 07:45:12 PM »

Hi

How are you all?

I'm 48 yo, still having my regular periods with the occasional fluctuation. Usually 2 days of intense flow and 2 days of very light bleeding.
I was told I'm probably a year away from full-blown menopause. For the last 3/4 years, I've felt different especially emotionally. I've suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my life, but this is a whole new level of crazy - anxiety is through the roof, hypochondria, fear, anger, mood swings. My hair and skin feel much drier. I feel a bit incontinent at times. Sleep can be hard sometimes. I don't have night sweats, but my body overheats at night and I wake up with heart palpitations. It's been scary.
Most of the time you try to get a GP appointment, if it "isn't urgent or serious" they won't see you.
Anyway, I'm hoping I can learn from others going through the same issues.

Hope you are all well this evening x

Hello Purplesu and welcome. Purple is my favourite colour.  :) I too have always suffered from depression and feel menopause has made it worse. I understand the feelings you describe. I have found HRT has helped with the dry and itchy skin. You may also benefit from vaginal estrogen. I had not even heard of that until I found this forum. People on here are so helpful and I am sure experienced members will be able to give you some great tips.

Purplesu

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 08:14:56 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake

I like your username also :) Thanks for your warm welcome.
I'm sorry you had to endure depression in your life. It's not an easy burden to carry, but we are here, we are winning.

I think that the simple fact that everyone here may understand how I feel already makes it a little better.
I'm hoping to learn as much as possible.
xxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »

Thank you. My name is based on a character of a book I loved as a child.  :)

I am so pleased you are feeling better having joined. You may find it helpful to browse threads. I know I do.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 12:04:25 PM »

Hi Purplesu - I can sympathise with your symptoms, it is awful and scary to feel like that. For me, HRT helped with the physical ones relatively quickly - it's taken longer to find the right HRT combo to help with my mental symptoms. Additional vaginal oestrogen (pessary) has helped with stress incontinence.
I know it's easier said than done, but I would try to talk to a GP about your symptoms. Yes, there will always be someone worse off, but your symptoms are very real and affecting your quality of life.

Gingercatmom

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 05:53:47 PM »

Hello I'm new here too. I have EXACTLY the same as you, though I have started night sweats and mild flushing.
I started anti depressants last year as my mental health was bad. I didn't know at the time that menopause effects our mental health too. I'm still not great but better than I was. Had a wobbly start on HRT and gave up after 6 weeks. Might try again soon on a lower dose. So glad I found this forum the ladies here are do knowledgeable!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 06:24:16 PM »

Peri-menopause can begin 10 years B4 the last monthly period.  The last bleed = menopause proper.  No one can suggest that a woman is anywhere near menopause.  Each journey is different.  How R your periods?  Mine waxed and waned for years then suddenly disappeared.  During those years I would have gaps of months without a bleed: then several 'normal' periods.  One has to be at least 12 months since the last monthly period to even consider being menopausal.  One can get to 11 months and hey! Presto! periods turn up  >:(  ::)

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Browse round .  Make notes.  Ask away ladies, nowt is taboo.  Usually someone here to listen ;-).

GP Surgeries should be open for business.  So press to be seen . No one should be left without at least a 'phone discussion.  If necessary go to the Surgery and ask to be seen making the point that you will sit until a Nurse or GP is able to speak to you.

A letter to your local MP too - as I am sure that the government has no idea that Surgeries are still shut !

Purplesu

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 09:00:25 AM »

Hello PeriWhat?! (appropriate username  ;)  )

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add I am also a mess of social anxiety as well, so calling the GP in itself is already a nightmare let alone pressuring them to do anything. Most days, I just wanna hide from people in general. I'm having meltdowns everyday that I hide from everyone. It's a very lonely place to be.

Hi Gingercatmom - I'm a mom to 3 cats myself! sorry you are struggling too. To be honest, HRT treatments kinda scare me. I was on anti-depressants for many years, in the end they only worked for a while for me. I wish I could control my mind. Cancel worry and raging anxiety, frustration, anger. I can analyse everything logically but emotions take over with a vengeance.

Hi CLKD

thanks for your reply. Yeah, i think they were only considering my age when they said I was a year away from menopause. My periods have been regular. Once in a while there will be one a couple of weeks earlier, but that happens maybe a couple of time s per year.

I'm hoping this forum will be a great source of information and also understanding as it can get pretty lonely going through this things. I'm not great with people either. They scare me for the most part. I'm very socially anxious. Confrontation gives me massive anxiety, but yeah I guess I'll have to put some pressure on those bloody people that answer the phone at the surgery.

I've adopted keto as my food regimen, but when I'm depressed with is most of the time really, I secretly have too many carbs, which doesn't help. Makes me feel even worse. I feel a mess. I feel weak and useless.

Gingercatmom

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 09:13:11 AM »

I've recently gone keto too as I've read it helps but the increase in fat is hard when I feel so sick most days. I crave a plain piece of toast!

Purplesu

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 10:32:48 AM »

Hi Gingercatmom,

I get most of my fat from Cream in my morning coffee and then I eat fatty meats also. Sometimes I even have spoons of butter or coconut oil.

I understand it's not easy for everyone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 11:07:56 AM »

'they' need to put their head down the loo and flush, several times  :bang:

If your periods are regular-ish, there is no way that anyone can 4cast when your last one might be.

Let us know how you get on?  Steraline (sp) can help a lot.  Some find yoga, jogging, cycling, swimming helpful.  My escape is my garden  :-*

Could you send an e-mail to your GP?

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

Hello PeriWhat?! (appropriate username  ;)  )

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add I am also a mess of social anxiety as well, so calling the GP in itself is already a nightmare let alone pressuring them to do anything. Most days, I just wanna hide from people in general. I'm having meltdowns everyday that I hide from everyone. It's a very lonely place to be.

That's sounds really difficult. Does your GP surgery have an online form so you can tell them your symptoms that way and then they call you back (eventually!) for a telephone appointment? This way can be frustrating because it can take a long time to get a reply, but perhaps it might be easier than putting yourself through the extra stress of making a phone call or a physical visit?

Purplesu

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 11:48:15 AM »

'they' need to put their head down the loo and flush, several times  :bang:

ahahha that made me laugh, thanks. They probably do.

I'll have a look at the surgery's website, but i don't think so. I appreciate the advise though

Purplesu

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »

[/quote]
That's sounds really difficult. Does your GP surgery have an online form so you can tell them your symptoms that way and then they call you back (eventually!) for a telephone appointment? This way can be frustrating because it can take a long time to get a reply, but perhaps it might be easier than putting yourself through the extra stress of making a phone call or a physical visit?
[/quote]

I don't think so, but I'll have a look. Thanks :)

Gingercatmom

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 12:02:55 PM »

Hi Gingercatmom,

I get most of my fat from Cream in my morning coffee and then I eat fatty meats also. Sometimes I even have spoons of butter or coconut oil.

I understand it's not easy for everyone.

I'm currently making soup loaded with cream and coconut fat. It's hard to get your head round after years of hearing we must eat low fat everything, but the science makes sense
Pages: [1] 2