Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Restarting HRT at 59  (Read 746 times)

HelenM

• First Flush
Restarting HRT at 59
« on: February 28, 2022, 03:56:15 PM »

Hi all, I've just joined and am hoping to get some advice please. I had a hysterectomy when I was 38 and then had an ovary removed when I was 42 due to a cyst. My other ovary wasn't working and I went straight into the Menopause. I was on HRT patches until I was 54 when the Doctor suggested that I should stop using them. I'm 59 now and have been struggling with aches and pains, numerous bladder infections, vaginal dryness and lack of Libido. With the recent information on HRT I went back to see my Doctor who agreed to restarting my HRT. I have been on the patches for 2 months and have been suffering with sore breasts and indigestion so decided to stop using them. I was feeling better in myself and my bladder symptoms and vaginal dryness were much better. My Libido was slightly improved! I don't know what to do now. Should I try again? I scared myself after having such sore breasts but know that I'm on oestrogen only so it's probably o.k. I haven't been able to get to see my Doctor yet as the surgery is still only doing phone appointments. Any advice would be much appreciated  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Restarting HRT at 59
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »

Hi!

Begin with the vaginal dryness.  As oestrogen levels drop, the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, scalp, skin, vagina  :o as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

We have threads on 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy', do read; make notes ;-).  VA is a different form of treatment from HRT and can be used with/without other forms of replacement.  The idea is to replace the oestrogen loss in the vaginal area to plump up the tissues = less dryness and soreness.  'ovestin' or 'vagifem' are currently prescribed and can be used every night if necessary.  Some find 'yes' or 'slyc' products helpful for the outer labia.

Why your GP suggested stopping is probably due to him/her being uneducated  :bang: :poke2:  - there is no reason to stop something that is easing symptoms, as well as protecting heart and bone density. 

Sore breasts are usually due to hormonal upheaval/readjustment.  Even after all these years, mine ache occasionally. 

Do you have a practice nurse to talk with?  Do get some VA treatment to try, it can take weeks B4 you notice easing of any dryness.  Bladder infections usually aren't, as VA mimics repeated bladder infection-type feelings really, really well  >:(

Don't struggle.  If you meet with resistance immediately ask for a referral to an NHS Menopause Clinic - not a gynaecologist!  Let us know how you get on.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 05:06:41 PM »

Hi Helen M

:welcomemm:

As CLKD says the sore breasts may well be your body readjusting to adding oestrogen after all those years without it. What patches are you using and what dose? Maybe start lower and then increase slowly as you adjust to each dose. The standard post-menopausal dose is 50 mcg but of course some women need more and some less than that though 50 mcg is the minimum licensed to protect against osteoporosis.

Hurdit x

HelenM

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 07:12:48 PM »

Hi both, thank you so much for taking the time to reply  :) I have 50mcg patches. I'm thinking I might have panicked a bit because of the soreness in my breasts! After 2 weeks of not using the patches I've already started to notice that I'm feeling more uncomfortable 'down below' again! I was given Vagifem a while back but when I asked about it being put on a repeat prescription I was told that 3 months treatment would be enough! That didn't make sense to me. When the treatment stopped I eventually went back to having  the same problems. These symptoms definitely eased over the last two months of restarting HRT. I think I'm going to start up the patches again tonight. My doctor said she wanted to see me again before she gives me another prescription so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get an appointment. Xx 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 07:16:25 PM »

3 months would be enough  :bang:  she/he should retire!   "Me and My Menopause Vagina" to your GP pronto ;-) available on Amazon (may have said already)

If you can't get a face2face appt you should be able to ask for repeat prescription over the 'phone.  GPs should be seeing people personally by now, 'the NHS has been open for business since mid-March 2021'! 

HelenM

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 07:34:36 PM »

Thank you, I'll have a look at that now! I don't understand why my surgery still isn't operating as normal yet either! I'll keep you posted. Thank you again X