Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Complete sympathy with people in severe pain.  (Read 2065 times)

Pennyfarthing

Complete sympathy with people in severe pain.
« on: February 27, 2022, 10:17:23 AM »

Since Thursday I have been in much pain. i am on strong Cocodamol  and Diazepam but OMG don’t I know if I miss one of them!  I take one at bedtime, sleep for a few hours and wake up about 4 pm and literally can’t get out of bed or walk unaided to the toilet.

I lay here in the night waiting for the next tablet to kick in And I think about my poor old Mum who was in constant back pain from arthritis in her neck and spine.  Then I think of all the people who have been in pain for years and probably will be for ever.  I feel great sympathy for them. 😢

I am already worrying about what happens when I run out of tablets because the paramedic and pharmacist stressed that they are only for short term use.  Obviously they are not curing me just masking the pain.

Taz2

Re: Complete sympathy with people in severe pain.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 01:27:17 PM »

So sorry. Are you on the steroids now or isn't it your PMR that's causing it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 04:35:40 PM »

Ring your GP for advice ASAP.  There is a reason that your muscles went into spasm so it may be necessary for an X-ray which won't show muscles but will show any anomalies down the spine.  Have U used the valium? It's a great relaxant.

MayB sit on a higher chair than the settee so that you don't have to bend or use muscles when standing up/sitting.  This is where a walking frame is handy  ::).  Have U tried a bag of frozen peas on the painful area? 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:34:53 AM »

Ring your GP for advice ASAP.  There is a reason that your muscles went into spasm so it may be necessary for an X-ray which won't show muscles but will show any anomalies down the spine.  Have U used the valium? It's a great relaxant.

MayB sit on a higher chair than the settee so that you don't have to bend or use muscles when standing up/sitting.  This is where a walking frame is handy  ::).  Have U tried a bag of frozen peas on the painful area?

A nurse pressed all down my spine when it happened and no pain at all. It is lower back and equally bad on both sides.  It seems there is no strength in my back and I just cannot push myself up from sitting position. It hurts like hell when I try.  If I keep on top of the Co-codamol and Diazepam it helps when walking but not when trying to sit or get up.  I am also using some Biofreeze but that doesn’t seem to make much difference. The most comfortable place is in bed with electric blanket on and V pillow behind me. It’s difficult to get in/out of bed but thank god I have a metal with rungs so I can use them to pull myself up.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »

Have you started the steroids for the PMR? I only ask as one of my friends decided not to use them and then spent over three months housebound as the inflammation eventually affected the muscles in the back. She was unable to dress herself or bathe.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 10:26:51 AM »

Have you started the steroids for the PMR? I only ask as one of my friends decided not to use them and then spent over three months housebound as the inflammation eventually affected the muscles in the back. She was unable to dress herself or bathe.

No I haven’t Taz.  I really didn’t want to take them.  I mentioned this to the paramedic last week and he looked at my notes and said “your blood tests didn’t show you had polymyalgia.”  I don’t think they know what they are talking about because when I was reading up about it, it said there were no definitive tests to prove polymyalgia.  The GP I saw said my symptoms suggested I had polymyalgia. He was the one who suggested steroids. 

VictoryV

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 10:35:38 AM »

Totally agree, wouldn’t wish that sort of pain on anybody. Electric blanket, Valium and somebody giving a head massage was my favourite combination whilst waiting for ribs to heal, the latter sounds nuts but it really did help.
Hope you get relief fast.

V.x
PS. Have you got a TV nearby?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »

No I haven’t Taz.  I really didn’t want to take them.  I mentioned this to the paramedic last week and he looked at my notes and said “your blood tests didn’t show you had polymyalgia.”  I don’t think they know what they are talking about because when I was reading up about it, it said there were no definitive tests to prove polymyalgia.  The GP I saw said my symptoms suggested I had polymyalgia. He was the one who suggested steroids.

Yes there are no definitive tests but your inflammatory markers would have been raised and that, along with your other symptoms of severe pain in your upper arms and thighs which led to you being unable to function normally would seem to show this to be the cause. I hope your GP is repeating the tests for you. It can be a serious illness in some people if not treated. I know that you don't want to be on steroids but nobody does really. Steroids are the only treatment for it. I expect you've read up on it but there is clear info on this site https://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/education/forms/polymyalgia-rheumatica/.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 12:34:42 PM »

My Mum couldn't move - her hands, wrists, ankles, neck, back froze up. Blood tests showed polymyalgia rheumatica as the most likely cause as RA was ruled out.  Steroids are the only treatment what's not to like?  After 18 months she was weaned off and didn't suffer again.  Denying yourself treatment can have a knock on effect to the rest of the body.

OK you might get swollen face, so what.  With wearing masks who's to see  :-\

I have low back pain as well as bursitis which gives deep muscular pain in the thighs and down the leg into the foot in the night  >:(.  Referred pain  ::)

getting_old

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »

Have you been diagnosed with PMR? If so then taking the steroids may be the only solution, however if you think it's muscular can you see a physiotherapist / chiropractor / oesteopath depending on your personal preference.

Did you do something specific to cause it, like picking something heavy up? I had horrendous lower back pain a few weeks ago, and any movement was excruciating. I took pain killers but they just mask the pain so I forced myself to do back stretching exercises and to walk, and I was ok after a week.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 10:00:59 AM »

Have you been diagnosed with PMR? If so then taking the steroids may be the only solution, however if you think it's muscular can you see a physiotherapist / chiropractor / oesteopath depending on your personal preference.

Did you do something specific to cause it, like picking something heavy up? I had horrendous lower back pain a few weeks ago, and any movement was excruciating. I took pain killers but they just mask the pain so I forced myself to do back stretching exercises and to walk, and I was ok after a week.

Exercise are on my to do list today. I found someone on YouTube doing lower back exercises and the reviews  are really good.

I have not been to the loo since last Thus thanks to Co codamol. Drinking loads, taking sachets of stuff to make you go, cranberry juice and senna tablets. Nothing!! 

Can’t  think I did any stretching or heavy lifting.  The week before I went To Chair pilates and did say to my friend that I couldn’t get one knee over the other as my back felt tight. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 11:14:47 AM »

I turned in the night with an 'ouch' and thought of you  ::)

Now much have you eaten in the last week, mayB the effect of the co-codamol is slowing down the bowel?  If however, you haven't eaten as much then you won't need 'to go' as often. 

getting_old

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 05:55:05 PM »

Some medications are notorious for stopping you "going", and laxatives are sometimes prescribed alongside them. It happened to a friend when they had surgery. Maybe call the doctor and ask if they can give you something to help.

Stretching should help if the problem is muscular. Just start slowly. I've had a number of back injuries over the years, and they flare up if I move the wrong way or sit for long periods, and I find stretching does help but takes a bit of time.

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 10:24:35 PM »

Exercise are on my to do list today. I found someone on YouTube doing lower back exercises and the reviews  are really good.

I have not been to the loo since last Thus thanks to Co codamol. Drinking loads, taking sachets of stuff to make you go, cranberry juice and senna tablets. Nothing!! 

Can’t  think I did any stretching or heavy lifting.  The week before I went To Chair pilates and did say to my friend that I couldn’t get one knee over the other as my back felt tight.

Can I suggested Seedful Bread? I’ve suffered from IBS, constipation, and had to resort to using trans anal irrigation system, but following the suggestion I tried this bread, I have started only using the system as a back up. For me it’s a miracle going to the loo most days without the strain after many years of problems. You can buy from the Seedful company, Amazon or Ocado. Constipation is debilitating just on its own without the pain you are in.

Wishing you all the best.