Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Avoiding Chinese and Japanese goods  (Read 1666 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Avoiding Chinese and Japanese goods
« on: February 28, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »

Sadly the World is fixated on cheap goods  :'(.  Cheap medicines, made in China and packed in India.  Most of the items sold in the UK are cheap from China.  If 1 looks at home made goods: Ercol furniture etc., toys from the two main makes in England - they are expensive in comparison  :-\

Then we let IKEA in  >:(

I tried to source a wobbly board to improve balance - I think mine will be imported from Sweden  ::). It is so hard to source items made in England.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 09:59:53 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Avoiding Chinese and Japanese goods
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »

So what aren't 'they' telling us about how green electric vehicles are?

The main media discussions revolve around how far we are likely to be able to drive electric vehicles between charges as well as how many points will be available and how long each charge is likely to take.  As there are time limits at many motorway service areas, will there be enough time to charge up ........ or will it mean stopping at more service areas en route?

What is under the radar is the cost of overall production.  How the batteries will be built and where.  What will be in each battery - lithium which may well be imported from across the World as it requires mining.  Therefore damaging that part of the environment?  Out of sight etc.?  Why should humans destroy yet more of the earth by mining lithium etc., in order to 'save the planet'  :-\.  Even if lithium is mined in Cornwall around the china clay area ........ is it 'right'?  How many tons of equipment will be required: cost of manufacturing against the cost of environmental damage; cost of tyres, maintenance, fuelling said huge diggers? 

How will the batteries be recycled after they are no longer able to fuel electric vehicles?  It isn't as simple as buying an electric vehicle ......... the whole package including recycling has to be considered by all of us.  'cos sure as night follows day, the leaders of the World won't make that very clear.
Modify message

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 10:36:54 AM »

The title refers to avoiding Chinese and Japanese good. Why Japanese?
Their goods in the main are well made, last well and aren't cheap or shoddy.

Aprilflower

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »

Agree Strongkat, and the buy lots from us.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 12:27:49 PM »

Also: I am buying British sugar beet rather than Tate & Lyle cane which has to be imported.  The latter also has to be treated as well as watered.  Sugar beet gets a heavenly rinse ;-)

Supporting British farmers as much as possible.  I suppose not Japanese due to FinL spending time in the Camps  :'(

Aprilflower

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »

Nope, still baffled. 🤔

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 01:13:36 PM »

Also: I am buying British sugar beet rather than Tate & Lyle cane which has to be imported.  The latter also has to be treated as well as watered.  Sugar beet gets a heavenly rinse ;-)

Supporting British farmers as much as possible.

I only ever buy beet sugar having grown up in 'sugar beet' country. I tried and failed to get our local Sainsbury's to stock it but they will only stock cane sugar.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 01:15:39 PM »

Same here.  COSTCO stock cane sugar.  We are being told to buy as locally as possible, British Sugar tell us that there is enough to round every year.  No need to import?

I too grew up in 'beet county'  ;D oh the smell from the 1 at King's Lynn  ::) I would love to have a tour .......

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 01:25:27 PM »

Was reading an article on the car issue and it says charging at services can be as expensive if not more so than petrol,an electric car would be useless for my OH who travels hundreds of miles in a day sometimes to go to clients,he'd be away for twice as long if he had to charge a vehicle.
Not sure about not buying Chinese products,it's such a shame as it's those poor people who work in the factories that will suffer,who work for next to nothing but it IS better than nothing. We are friendly with the people who run our local Chinese takeaway and they are a lovely family,they got the nasty comments when Covid started now more nasty comments because of the leader of their country  :(

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 02:07:23 PM »

Same here.  COSTCO stock cane sugar.  We are being told to buy as locally as possible, British Sugar tell us that there is enough to round every year.  No need to import?

I too grew up in 'beet county'  ;D oh the smell from the 1 at King's Lynn  ::) I would love to have a tour .......

Much better carbon footprint at only 28 miles on average from field to processing plant.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »

Yep.  Some are self sufficient in that any waste is ploughed back into the system ........ then we get sugar.  Which of course, is good for us.  According to British Sugar a few years ago  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »

Last week I began reading "White Debt" by Thomas Harding - about the Demerara Uprising on a sugar plantation. Hence .......  it's a bit of a trawl.