Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT shortages  (Read 864 times)

discogirl

HRT shortages
« on: February 10, 2023, 08:24:17 PM »

i popped into my local chemists not for hrt but she was saying they seem to be having issues getting hold of a lot of different medication from their suppliers and she said it seems to be all over the UK.

so just to let ladies know it might be prudent to get our HRT orders in plenty of time for our pharmacies x

Taz2

Re: HRT shortages
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 09:20:35 PM »

If you go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qskw/episodes/player and choose the 4th February one there is a piece on HRT shortages and why they are happening.

It starts at around 17 minutes. Hope the link works

Taz x

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 07:57:21 AM »

thanks so much Taz2 i'll have a look xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 08:33:00 AM »

Independent pharmacies can use whatever wholesalers they like, and can go from one to another until they get what they want. The chains (Boots, Lloyd's) can't do that. For hormone products my local indie has always outperformed the local Boots.
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 09:49:08 AM »

In the news item posted above they speak to someone from Theramax about the shortages of some products. I didn't realise how long it took to formulate more HRT stocks! Seven months apparently.

Taz x

Sage 🍃

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 12:57:26 PM »

According to the NHS Business Service Authority's Serious Shortage protocol, Estradot and Sandrena shortages are supposed to be resolved this month.

Utrogestan is not there, so let's hope Besins is fixing the problem.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/pharmacies-gp-practices-and-appliance-contractors/serious-shortage-protocols-ssps

I wonder if this is a delayed effect of China's Covid zero policy, because many of the raw materials come from there.

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 09:02:13 PM »

Good point about China’s zero covid policy and the consequence’s regarding the supply chain of raw materials.

Thank you for raising awareness of this Sage.

Mx

Uptick

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 09:27:15 PM »

Hi Sage and Marchlove, this news article explains exactly what Sage is saying

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/24/hrt-inside-the-complex-global-supply-chain-behind-a-20bn-market

Marchlove

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 10:49:38 PM »

Thank you Uptick.

It makes, even so say Bioidentical HRT,  seems so unnatural and quite frankly Orwellian- big money to be made from the whole supply chain  :-\

We are told so little…

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 09:35:00 AM »

Yes - noone should be under any illusion that any of it is "natural" as such. This was always my beef with the proponents of compounded HRT - well how it is (was?) pushed by the advocates - that it was more "natural". We wouldn't be able to have any HRT but for these manufacturing processes and the miracles of modern science :) . Probably Premarin - conjugated equine oestrogens - are more "natural" then manufactured oestradiol! A bit off topic but just responding to a comment!

Hurdity x