Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: driving anxiety....  (Read 3451 times)

petuniaclark

driving anxiety....
« on: February 22, 2022, 02:48:28 PM »

Prompted by an email showing the cover of next months magazine.....
Does anyone else find themselves suffering with this or just me? I have gone from confidently driving on the M25 etc 5 or 6 years ago to now struggling to drive anywhere or anything over about 2 miles or a very small selection of safe routes. I no longer feel safe in the car as I struggle to react quickly, or process changes. I have had refresher lessons which went fine, the instructor just said my issue  was confidence. I hate driving and will do anything to avoid it. Even if I make it somewhere I can't enjoy it as I then worry about getting home again.
I have tried going out early/ evenings on my own, but the stress I feel in advance just ruins my nights sleep or my whole day.
I am on HRT which has helped with insomnia/low mood, but I dont know how and if I can get past this. It makes me feel a complete failure.
Any wise words please?!!

Amazing grace

Re: driving anxiety....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 03:56:15 PM »

Hi, I went through a similar thing, I went from driving up and down the m1 for work to barely ever driving apart from short trips that I considered my safe routes, mine came from health anxiety that I developed early peri menopause, I feared being unwell and being trapped In traffic, the anticipation of that happening caused me huge anxiety, I also developed a fear of motorways I don't know why, I still don't drive motorways, I became less anxious about shorter trips though and I now dont give that a second thought, I think your fear is different too mine, but avoiding it will reinforce the anxiety, keep doing the short trips, maybe take someone with you that can take over driving on longer trips, I actually think this is a common problem in mid to later  life I know lots of women who will only drive certain routes, and lots who avoid heavy traffic areas, motorways seem to be a very common issue, I used to love driving, but now I get no pleasure from it, you shouldn't feel like a failure it's like so many things in life what we once could do easily isn't so easy now, if it's an anxiety issue maybe CBT will help you, I don't have an answer to completely resolving the problem, but you are not alone with the driving issue, but do try not to avoid it, maybe don't plan trips to avoid the anxious thinking, I did better just being spontaneous, I did have CBT, for my anxiety issues didn't cure it, but definitely helped me deal better with it.
Take care x

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 04:12:53 PM »

This may be useful (or not!), but if this is a very recent thing do bear in mind the impact of the pandemic restrictions. Many find they have forgotten how to drive as the part of the brain needed has been paused. Roads went from quiet to manic as people found their way again and may now have the feel of being busier despite not being so. Keep at it with little, familiar trips. You'll get there and your love of driving and the independence and sense of adventure it brings will return. Promise! 😊

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 07:37:01 PM »

Yes, it happened to me but it was in the lead up to peri menopause when I was 31.  I was driving on the M25 and suddenly panicked when I had to turn on to the M11.

It got worse from there and I was terrified of driving on motorways (I used to feel unbalanced, like my head was spinning and I couldn't drive in a straight line) and terrified of being stuck on the tube, crowded mainline trains, lifts and planes because I felt I couldn't breathe.   It was a type of claustrophobia.  It lasted for years but I didn't stop doing any of the things that terrified me, I just used to shake and sweat in sheer terror.

It all came to an end about 15 years ago and now I'm completely unaffected and happy to drive any type of vehicle anywhere, travel on the tube when I'm in London, get into lifts and flying is no problem.   I've got no idea what caused it but it was like an extreme form of anxiety.   I suppose it could be linked to the severe drop in progesterone I experienced (the calming hormone) which I later discovered was the cause of my silent migraines but I can't imagine that happened at the age of 31.

I know it's difficult but I would keep plugging away.   One thought... it could be a lack of testosterone.

What type of HRT are you taking, how old are you and where are you in the menopause?

Nas

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 08:54:25 AM »

Yes I’ve had this also,
Horrendous is the only way I could describe it.

One Monday morning in January 2019, I decided I couldn’t  drive the  20 minute journey to work AND pick my then 10 year old son up from football in the dark. I had to do it, but my day was just fixated on those journeys.

Things got worse and worse, EVERY journey became hell, unless it was 10 minutes to Asda. I didn’t feel balanced, I felt dizzy, sweaty, shaken, mouth dry.

I tried everything.. CBD, Rescue remedy, music, sweets,, nothing worked.

Eventually, some time last year, after being on HRT the patch for 15 months or so, things eased. I still can’t drive roads with no white lines properly and hate fast bendy country roads. But we live semi rural and driving is a must.

Keep driving, everyday. I believe my anxiety was hormone driven.
Push yourself.. if you stop driving, menopause will have taken your independence away..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:56:43 AM by Nas »

petuniaclark

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 07:33:24 PM »

thanks for replying everyone.
@MaryG...I am 56. no periods since 49. I am on a 25 patch &1 progesteron tablet daily. i tried a higher ostrogen dosage which made me feel awful. this regime seems to be working well for me apart from this tiny driv8ng issue!

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 07:48:15 PM »

petunia, you are obviously happy with your HRT regime overall so it might just be a lack of testosterone.   It's interesting that you felt terrible when you increased your oestrogen dose, did you feed more anxious and wired?

It might be worth having some hormone blood tests to see how well you are absorbing your HRT and to check your testosterone levels.

Smokey

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 01:01:01 PM »

Yep I can relate to this I get stressed and anxious if I have to drive even short trips.

I haven’t driven for several months now and have sold our car,however I hate not being able to pop to shops if needed

I have decided to purchase another when I have saved enough for the car I want a nice smallish convertible which is automatic so less to think about when at junctions etc(no worry of stalling). Hopefully doing little and often will install my confidence again.

I think not actually having the option of driving has made me realise I must.

Smokey (Ann)