Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estradiol Intolerance  (Read 1050 times)

CleoChic

• First Flush
Estradiol Intolerance
« on: February 23, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »

I've read there seems to be a lot of women who experience progesterone Intolerance but has anyone had any experience of estradiol Intolerance? I've tried HRT twice, both times it was Evorel Sequi and both times I experienced severe bloating, abdominal pain and discomfort which then leads to breathlessness. I'm wondering if this would happen with other types of estrogen or if its just specific to Estradiol (which I know is the most common). Has anyone had any similar experiences and if so did you try other options?

Jasmine20

Re: Estradiol Intolerance
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 07:23:29 PM »

Hi CleoChic

I tried Evorel Sequi and it was the progestogen that caused me the problem (pelvic pain mostly) which then didn't go during the estradiol only phase.

Are you sure it's the estradiol and not the progestogen?

In terms of estrogen intolerance that's sometimes related to histamine intolerance - there's a few threads on this already on the forum and Dr Tina Peers treats this: https://www.drtinapeers.com/introduction-to-histamine-intolerance

This from Dr Newson's website: https://www.newsonhealth.co.uk/uploads/2021/07/Histamine-Intolerance-v21-03.pdf

It might be better to try Oestrogel or Lenzetto for estradiol which allow you to titrate up the estrogen dose more slowly. You could pair this with Utrogestan which is body identical. Estriol tends to be only used in vaginal HRT from what I understand.

CleoChic

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 07:32:08 PM »

Yes it's definitely the estrogen only part as I've not used the progesterone patch yet. I'd have been due to start it tonight but after 10 days the same issues have appeared as last time. I thought perhaps it was just a fluke last time but clearly not. I have a large gallstone and I know gallbladder issues are listed under the Use with Caution section. I'll have a look for the histamine Intolerance posts. Thanks x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:29:29 AM »

Hi Cleochic

Sorry to hear about your problems.

There is no such thing as oestrogen intolerance per se - we wouldn't be able to live otherwise. We have evolved to enjoy very high doses of oestrogen both around ovulation and pregnancy, whereas progesterone intolerance is completely different and related to the menstrual cycle especially, and also pregnancy when we produce huge amounts.

However some women are affected by the use of exogenous oestrogen as in HRT, when applied from outside the body - so it is the mode of delivery or the sudden increase that may be responsible for problems and side effects. .

This is notwithstanding the relationship with histamine which is a different but related issue.

Apart from the horse pee oestrogen ( Premarin) all oestrogen used in HRT are estradiol so changing preparation would not change this though the way you absorb it and therefore the time course of peaks and troughs in your system may be different.

Can you say where you are in menopause re cycles etc and how old you are so we can get a full picture?

Hurdity x

Gingercatmom

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »

Hi all I'm eagerly following this thread as I also feel I had a bad reaction to Estrogel. Bloating and sore boobs I could cope with, but I became super jittery nauseous and anxious. It's been a week since I stopped and it's only just starting to settle. I felt ok on the utrogestan actually, a little tired maybe.
I'm 48, still regular periods. Tried HRT mainly for low mood and huge anxiety. I think maybe I started too soon