Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Repeat blood tests…….panicking !!  (Read 1905 times)

skkb

Repeat blood tests…….panicking !!
« on: February 16, 2022, 04:43:38 PM »

Sorry but I’m slightly panicking. Having been on 3 courses of ABs over the last 3 weeks for a UTI and last Monday having routine blood test, the surgery just rang to say the results were back and the doctor wants to repeat the blood test in two weeks time…….never had this happen before, has anyone on MM any experience of this, it’s really freaked me out. I asked questions but the receptionist said all she was told was to book me in for a repeat test.

marge

Re: Repeat blood tests…….panicking !!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 05:58:05 PM »

Sorry to hear that Skkb, it is a worry. You can always request a print out of your results from the surgery; l always do. Then l look up the results on the computer. Not for everyone, but just a thought.

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 11:07:29 PM »

SKkb try not to worry , they do this even if there is a slight abnormality.  If you’ve been in antibiotics it can skew the results so maybe they want to wait for them to leave your system properly.
Hope you feel better soon

skkb

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 07:52:11 AM »

Yes thankyou, I have read that antibiotics can skew results and I had been on them for three weeks including the day of my test. Guess I’ll have to be patient

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »

I’ve had to have repeat blood tests after infections. If there are raised levels, reflecting infection, then the doctor will want to test to make sure things have settled down. Belt and braces. I once had a doctor ring me up to ask whether I drank a lot as the blood results could have reflected that. I laughed. I rarely drink alcohol as it makes me feel rough.

skkb

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 10:03:51 AM »

Thanks JuJu, feeling much better today, think my last course of ABs have done the trick. I did get a print out of the blood test, everything was normal except potassium “outside range” and that’s the reason for the repeat. Range is 3.5 to 5.3 (although this can be 5.5 on some websites) and mine is 5.4. Also read that Trimethoprim can raise potassium levels whilst taking the drug, and that’s the AB I was on for a week……so feel a lot better about it now. Again I had to find this information out for myself, if they had told me the reason initially I wouldn’t have panicked. Hope doctors surgeries get back to “normal” sooner rather than later.