Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi, newbie here  (Read 1903 times)

KM 14

• First Flush
Hi, newbie here
« on: December 06, 2022, 04:19:25 PM »

Hi everyone.

I was directed here by the Dr I spoke to today, so it's all very new & fresh (entering the unknown)

After a rough couple of years where I put all my symptoms down to a head ache condition, ( I have NDPH, chronic migraines & cluster headaches). These symptoms developed overtime & it was only upon receipt of my company's new menopause policy that the penny dropped.
I finally got myself organised & called Dr's today whereby I spoke to a very nice remote Dr (my surgery didn't have any f2f appointments). She believes I have perimenopause & has provided me with some information to consider, including signposting me to this site.

I have literally no idea what I'm doing or what happens next. I have an appointment next week where the nurse will do my BMI & blood pressure then I can let them know my thoughts on HRT.

It's hard to define when the symptoms started as I have had my headache condition for 12 years & many of the symptoms overlap, but I can probably say that the last 3-6mths have been the worst. I can cry at the drop of a hat (literally 🤣), my mood is lucky dip (no idea what it will be at any given time 🤷‍♀️😉), as for sleep it seems my body doesn't think I need it. Add to that the aching joints that means I creak more then the floorboards first thing in the morning 🤣. I have concluded that the menopause wasn't going to sneak by anymore.

I am generally an optimistic, upbeat person, but the emotional roller-coaster is beginning to take its toll & I no longer feel like me.

I feel that this site is going to be my saviour as I enter this next stage.

I am sure as I find my way around, more questions will surface (you'll probably see a lot of me 🤣🤣😉)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi, newbie here
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »

:welcomemm:

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use, to chart progress.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains. Over the counter pain relief can help.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, between the toes, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina ......... it's The Change, does what it says on the tin  ::)

Which symptom would you like to ease first? 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 04:49:21 PM »

Welcome to you KM14 oh yes,meno sneaks up on us when we're not looking,there are many symptoms as clkd has pointed out,not just the usual ones that you mention,so do have a good old look round the forum.
I'm not on HRT so can't advise you on that,I've muddled through....somehow.Another symptom is making very strange noises when you rise from a seat  ;D

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 05:15:52 PM »

Welcome KM14!

HRT can be a minefield but there are ladies on here with so much experience I am sure you will find very helpful.
The search facility here is amazingly educational as I found out before eventually joining the forum, and in doing so was well informed to ask my GP what I needed for a condition I had never heard of in all the many years I have been on this planet, Vaginal Atrophy.

Good luck on your journey, it can be a bumpy ride  :)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 06:07:47 PM »

:o jaypo what do you mean  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 06:09:25 PM »

;D

KM 14

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 06:47:45 PM »

Thank you all for the lovely welcome.

In response to the question of what symptoms do I want to ease first, I'm probably aiming for the mood/emotions as my sense of humour can only get me so far, & I hate feeling so out of sorts.

The aches & pains are manageable (I never thought to connect them to the menopause).

The other big issue is the lack of sleep. I wake up in the early hours & just cannot get back to sleep.

I have begun reading & gathering information, but it's all a bit overwhelming. I knew it would have to happen, but wasn't quite ready yet.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 06:51:27 PM »

How early?  It mayB cortisol waking you in the early hours.  Or it may be that you don't need as much sleep. 

KM 14

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »

How early?  It mayB cortisol waking you in the early hours.  Or it may be that you don't need as much sleep. 

It's normally around the 3am window (give or take an hour each way). I'm then up at 6 for work. If I get to drop back off its normally about 45mins before I have to get up 🤦‍♀️.
I average about 4-5 hrs sleep a night. I used to get about 7-8hrs before.

It's definitely taking its toll, working in a nursery with little ones all day & I am struggling by mid afternoon.

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »

My sleep is awful too and in turn lack of sleep makes everything 10 times worse,don't think I dropped off til after 3am last night  :'(