Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Worried.. really long light period spotting  (Read 6372 times)

Jerseygirl123

• First Flush
Worried.. really long light period spotting
« on: February 18, 2022, 01:44:01 PM »

Hi, has anyone experienced spotting for over 2 weeks? I’m nearly 52 and have had heavy irregular periods for a while. Now I’m 2 weeks in and just continuously spotting. Never had this before and looking for some reassurance as to whether this is considered normal in peri.
Many thanks 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worried.. really long light period spotting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »

Hi! It's The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)

:welcomemm:  my periods waxed and waned.  Back story: heavy, painful periods: would bleed 10 days 10 days off.  Clots.  Nausea.  The runs 10 mins B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due.  The Pill helped a bit.

Then peri began: the 10+ years prior to the final period = menopause proper.  I would miss several months, then bleed 'normally'.  Fortunately without clots or pain.  Then I would realise that I'd missed.  Again  >:(  ::)

We are told to be period free for 12 months B4 we can call use menopausal.  Sometimes that 9-12 months presents a period so we have to start counting from day 1!

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.  I think what you are experiencing is 'normal' but if you are worried, speak to your Practice Nurse?  Is the spotting red blood ........ let us know how you get on.

Jerseygirl123

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 01:59:46 PM »

No it’s just light pink/ brown and mostly when I wipe after the toilet. Kept thinking it was my proper period starting as they have been quite heavy over the last couple of months but no..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 02:04:08 PM »

That sounds OK from where I'm sitting. 

Do browse the Forum.  Read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads.  4warned is 4armed ;-).

U may find the spotting continues as there isn't enough hormone thrust to produce a proper bleed.  U may find that the vagina becomes itchy high up, so have some KYJelly-type application to ease symptoms.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 05:02:44 PM »

Yes perfectly normal for peri but very frustrating. Periods can be long, short, heavy, light, close together, months apart, spotting for days or weeks then nothing at all for months before becoming regular again. You are considered to be post menopausal when you have had no bleeding for twelve months so keeping a note of bleeding incidences is a good idea. I was the same as you at 52. I went for nine months without periods and then became regular again before starting HRT due to hot flushes making life difficult so I'm not sure when I would have stopped naturally.

You will find lots of information on here plus support from others who really do understand.

Taz x  :welcomemm: