Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Still bleeding and feeling awful. Please help.  (Read 989 times)

pricey

Still bleeding and feeling awful. Please help.
« on: February 01, 2020, 06:26:59 AM »

Hello ladies,

I've posted a few times this week and it's all getting on top of me.

I'm on Oestrogel 2 pumps and utrogestan 100mg vaginally. I'm still bleeding, having done so off and on for 4 weeks. I previously had 3 good months on the sequential regime but did push a longer cycle and it seems to have gone haywire. The bleeding isn't much, some days hardly anything, but it's persistent. I'm also worried about using vaginal utrogestan when I'm bleeding. I know it may be less effective but also could it pose an infection risk?
I am at work again today.  My shoulders ache,  I am weary and headachey,  feel tearful and despondent. I can't get an appointment with my doctor until the 11th and then it's just a phone consultation. I just want the bleeding to stop and not feel so low and unwell. I've been on the utrogestan 8 days now. Should I stop it? Should I stop everything? Or should I stop utrogestan and cut down Oestrogel with a view to coming off slowly? I'm so down about this.

Sorry to ask so many questions this week.

X

Lindsay

• First Flush
Re: Still bleeding and feeling awful. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 12:34:30 PM »

Hi!
I’m exactly the same! Did you get any advice/replies? ( new to site) x

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 01:45:13 AM »

Bless you both.

Abnormal vaginal bleeding needs reporting to a doctor.
For peace of mind though, I wouldn't go to doctor for months out of fear when I bled in 2018.
It was just too much oestrogen, I had a hysteroscopy, and no cancer, I had to keep reducing my oestrogen as the bleeds kept coming back.
I went gradually down from 100mcg to 25mcg with no bleeds.
I saw a gynaecologist in October last year and got a clean bill of health.
All that worrying for nothing.
Just say to doc, "I have abnormal vaginal bleeding" if it's on the phone, and the doc will know what to do.
My GP referred me to gynaecologist, I had a transvaginal scan and slightly thickened womb lining, I was put to sleep for the hysteroscopy and all was well.
I hope this helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »

Hi pricey

Sorry to hear about your woes. What I would say is you are taking less than the licensed dose of utrogestan so it could simply be that this is insufficient to prevent your womb liming from thickening from the oestrogen dose you are taking, despite that you take it vaginally. I doubt there would be an infection risk? I can't see why that would be? However if you are bleeding steadily then it may be that less progesterone gets absorbed because more of it gets "washed away" ? If you can cope with it maybe change to orally for the rest of the cycle at the correct dose ie 200 mg and see what bleed you get at the end? Then the next cycle use the 200 mg vaginally and keep doing this until your bleeds become regular.

Re consultation with the doctor - probably a good idea to do this - preferably with a doc who is knowledgeable about menopause and hRT? You don;t need to stop everything but sounds like you need to review your dose with your doc and maybe they will suggest a quick look in case you have anything like fibroids or polpys etc causing the bleeding? Also depends where you are in menopause. In peri your cycle may well kick in and cause irregular bleeding.

I always feel rough during the progesterone part of my cycle - although I'm sure that is no consolation to you - but just to say you are not alone - if you can get through it.

I haven't seen your other questions so I'm answering purely on the basis of this one.

Try not to worry and hope you feel better soon.

Hurdity x