Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to this site  (Read 1165 times)

Poppy

New to this site
« on: February 14, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »

Hi everyone, I’ve been getting the Menapause Matters Magazines for about 6 years (advised by my GP) & have recently been coming on to this website to read your posts for reassurance, advice & just for comfort in the fact that I’m not on my own in this rocky journey. Today as I sat as usual nodding my head & saying yes that’s me to the computer screen I thought why not go one step further & join in with your discussions. I’ve been going through it for about 8 years now,  in 2018 I was period free for 1 year, 3 days after the year I started to bleed ( horrendously) I was fast tracked for a scan & to see a Gynaecologist, the results were a thickened lining (19mm) 2 polyps which were removed & the lining taken off & a biopsy taken ( which was non cancerous). Over the last 2 years symptoms have became a lot more stronger, daily & a never ending list. I have a history of depression & anxiety but this has been magnified by 1000, I have been on antidepressants & beta blockers for 20 years but not sure they work now. I have been off work since June 2021 as I had a collapse & have had dizziness & balance problems since. To top it all a month ago after not having a bleed for nearly 2 years years yes you’ve guessed it the same thing has happened & off I go again on a fast track, once again my lining is thickened (15mm) & I am going on Friday to get it taken off & a biopsy done. I’m just not coping my life is shrinking around me, not sure who I am any more, haven’t got the motivation to go out much or do anything. I don’t take anything for my menopause symptoms but have a telephone appointment with my GP next week. I have try to research vitamins & herbal but I get so confused with all that’s out there. I don’t know where I am with my journey because of being period free then bleeding ( peri-menopause or menopause) So sorry this has been more of an essay but just feeling a bit desperate, I’m not a very open person about my problems to my family or friends. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to this site
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 01:28:55 PM »

Hi!  you are in the right place  :welcomemm:

It's a real nuisance when after 12 months another bleed happens.  My periods waxed and waned, fortunately getting lighter as I suffered dreadfully painful, heavy bleeds for years.

Is your mental health deteriorating?  How many BBs are you prescribed, I found them useful for easing the early morning cortisol jolts that would wake me, leaving me terrified beyond words  :'(

If you have a good diet then vitamins and herbals aren't necessary.  Other than VitD levels and thyroid function blood tests, if your diet and exercise regime are healthy, that should be enough.

Browse round. Make notes.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry : inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, bladder, scalp .... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

You will get out and about again.  Listen to your body and be kind to yourself!  The Change - does what it says on the tin!  Also ask for a referral to a menopause clinic as there is a waiting list, there must be a reason for the thickened lining.  Not a gynaecologist unless he/she has menopause knowledge.  Let us know how you get on.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 03:36:21 PM »

Welcome to the forum poppy,good advice from clkd,such a shame you are dealing with all of this but it's a good crowd on here so ask as much as you like about anything you want.
I agree re the vitamins,be careful,you can overload,like clkd said our bodies rarely need extra vitamins unless of course you are lacking in any,I was taking a multivitamin  for the over 50s and when I had a blood test done my vitamin B12 was through the roof and the Dr strongly advised against taking any more,so please do your homework first.
You'll get there,it's a struggle at times but it will get better  :)

Poppy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:24:53 PM »

Thank you both for replying. I take 80mg x2 daily of beta blockers & 20mg fluoxetine. I feel my diet is pretty good so I may just hold off the vitamins, I know some won’t go well with the medication I’m on already so would have to ask pharmacist advice. I think I try to cope with too much at once which becomes exhausting & I’m too hard on myself when I struggle to function like I would like too, I’m trying to find a balance.
Thanks again for your advice & words of comfort, 😀

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 05:28:25 PM »

I was on 80mg 3 times a day for a few weeks, then dropped to 40mg at night.  Worked for me.  Fortunately.

I am a great list maker  ;D.  If it ain't on the His/Hers calendar, we aren't doing it  :D.  MayB learn to delegate in the household?  Serfaces don't have to be pristine if you are too tired.  Who is going to notice?

R U working?

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 06:13:11 PM »

Try a brisk walk,or run,I have to say,my running got me through a lot but I appreciate not everyone can do it but brisk walking is just as good. Don't be hard on yourself,you can only do what you can do,please join in with the forums lighter topics too,we do get a giggle and laugh at ourselves at times,you have to sometimes  ;)

Poppy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 07:14:01 PM »

I’m finding that I have to write lists more now as I can completely forget. I’m very good at looking after others needs but not my own, I think it’s maybe time I started thinking of me more 🤔. I have been doing some exercising & meditation lately from YouTube. I work at my local school as a teaching assistant

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »

I have written lists from the time I could string words together.

However: I can't remember what is on the list should I leave it behind  ::).  Years ago I could visualise the list on the kitchen table so made it round the shops without forgetting anything  :D

We talk about everything here: even menopause ;-)