Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Experiencing odd symptoms and confused?..HRT or Fluoxetine? -Dry mouth  (Read 2094 times)

Marybeth

• First Flush

I’m on month 3 of HRT (Evorel sequi) and right from patch 1 got a severely dry mouth which makes sleeping hard. On speaking to my GP they said it was fluoxetine not the hrt. The fluoxetine I was put on one month before I insisted on hrt! Then I was told to double the dose from 20 to 40mg. I do feel better but I have bad headaches and the dry mouth, throat and lips is unbearable. I’m also still on cerazette too so I’m confused as to what is causing it.
I’m thinking of asking the gp to change me to gel and utrogestan to see if it helps me? I’m also thinking I may be allergic to something in the patches?
Incidentally I have dropped my fluoxetine back down to 20mg to see of that helped but no change.
Any opinion is much welcomed as I’m really struggling. Wondering I could even be progestogen sensitive or
Histamine intolerant or if it’s completely untelated to HRT?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 06:44:00 PM by Marybeth »

Flossieteacake

Re: Experiencing odd symptoms on HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 02:12:42 PM »

Hello Marybeth and welcome to the forum. Fluoxetine can cause dry mouth. It is one of those irritating side effects. It may be worth asking to try a different antidepressant if you are finding the dry mouth too difficult to cope with. I am on cerazette and have not heard of that causing a dry mouth before. Progesterone intolerance often affects a persons mood. They can become severely depressed.

Marybeth

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 04:15:54 PM »

Thank you for the reply :)
Yeah the GP did say Fluoxetine can do that but it literally started straight after I put on the first Evorel Patch which has confused me..
I’m also running to the loo lots and my eyes are very itchy. It’s such a shame because I had been feeling a lot brighter mentally but I cannot stand the dryness. I’m not sleeping well at all.. it’s all a bit deflating.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 04:22:20 PM »

That is such a shame. It can take time to find the right antidepressant. I also think sometimes side effects may not start right away. It is horrid to feel dry and keep running to the loo. Have you been given anything for vaginal atrophy? They usually prescribe vagifem or ovestin. This helps with dryness and that horrid bladder pain.

Marybeth

• First Flush

I really wish I hadn’t started on the anti depressants and said no to them to start with.
It’s almost like even my sinuses and throat are extremely dry too. I feel like I’ve just been left to it myself from the gp. It’s sad really as I so want to feel better. I can’t get a phone appointment for another week. Is anyone else on Fluoxetine or similar and had this reaction alongside taking the hrt? I’ve been on AD’s a few times over the years and never had this. I’m desperately trying to stay on the hrt as I’m determined to keep going with it but unsure what to do next.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 09:51:48 AM by Marybeth »

Flossieteacake

I am really sorry your GP is being so unsupportive. If you feel you are better off without the antidepressant you could try to slowly come off it. Hopefully somebody will post soon offering advice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

It is probably the HRT.  Adding hormones to the body can cause a riot until the regime settles.  GPs should not be prescribing ADs unless it is necessary.  Some ladies find that they require both.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, throat, vagina, anus ....... so it may be the HRT is causing the dryness.  Ring this afternoon and ask for a referral to an NHS Menopause Clinic .  There are waiting lists so getting on to the list is important, your request may give the GP a  :kick: 2 B more pro-active!

CLKD

Hi I’m new to the forum and on month 3 of HRT (Evorel sequi) and right from patch 1 woke up with a severely dry mouth which makes sleeping hard and hasn’t gone away.

On speaking to my GP they said it was fluoxetine not the hrt, (that I was put on one month before I insisted on hrt!) Then I was told to double the dose from 20 to 40mg. I do feel better but I have bad headaches and the dry mouth, throat and lips is unbearable. I’m also still on cerazette too so I’m confused as to what is causing it.

I’m also getting lots of restless legs which is uncomfortable.

I’ve decided to drop to 20mg of fluoxetine in the last week or so and this morning I’ve removed my hrt patch as I’m so fed up with it and want to see what happens when the patch is off. Ironically I was starting to feel better but the dry mouth is making me feel panicky.

I was thinking of asking for an alternative hrt like the gel or maybe for a different antidepressant?? Feeling a bit lost with it all and just desperately want to feel better.
Any ideas from you ladies? What would you do in my situation?

I've transferred this so that you don't get lost or not see the replies.

I found that eating a banana daily cured my rest less leg syndrome within 5 nights.  4 me it's lack of potassium.

Some medications can take weeks to kick in.   As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out - which may be the causation of your dry mouth.  Or it may be anxiety in that you are over breathing or sleeping with mouth open.  There are sweeties which can help with dry mouth, I can't remember the name off the top of my head  ::)

CLKD

Hi! not a problem with the other thread, sticking to this one?

Confusion is a sign of peri - you are in good company.  We have a thread: Doing Stupid/Silly Things : as well as "There's a Strange Woman in. my House" ;-) worth a giggle.

Marybeth

• First Flush

Thanks for your replies. I switched to the newbie thread as I said previously as I realised I’d posted in the wrong forum. I’ve tried all sorts for dry mouth and nothing works. Sprays, gels sweets.. I was led to believe that taking hrt made dryness symptoms better and not worse so this is why I’m confused. Thank you for replying though that was really kind. The more info the better.

CLKD

Keep asking the questions ;-)

Sazzle42115

Hey I've been trying to wean off mirtazphine AD and although a really low dose it seems to be mucking up histamine receptor, I have constant lips that tingle and funny taste in my mouth But because I'm trailing a patch and reducing AD don't know what is doing what
 Wish I never started AD but was so desparate re sleep. I'm back to a new GP next week but assume that they will try and suggest another AD I'm so worried that I'm never going to get anything sorted.

applejack

I'm on mirtazapine as well and if it's any consolation I also got a very dry mouth when I started taking it which kept waking me up (unfortunate since it was supposed to be helping me sleep).  It has gradually tailed off though and is now tolerable, so hopefully this will be the same for you even though you're taking something different.