Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Itchy eyes and fatigue  (Read 1644 times)

purplebee

Itchy eyes and fatigue
« on: February 14, 2022, 12:11:22 PM »

Hi, I am 71 and have been using Evorel conti since I was 53. I am currently using 3/4 of my 50 mcg patch as I Cut it in half a couple of years ago and have been increasing it slowly again for the last six months. For the last few weeks I have been experiencing itchy dry skin, sore and itchy eyes with dry patches on both eyelids and feeling generally very tired. and achy. (Not Covid)  Has anyone else experienced anything like this and found that increasing the dosage helped. I would be most grateful for any advice.Thank you.

Katherine

Re: Itchy eyes and fatigue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 12:47:51 PM »

Hi, I don't know anything about Evorel Conti, but I highly recommend Opticrom allergy eye drops. They are great at stopping your eyes itching. I hope that helps you and that you feel better soon. x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 01:18:24 PM »

Hi itchy skin and dry eyes in my case are symptoms of low oestrogen x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:22:54 PM »

Hi! as oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, skin, vagina, scalp as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

I would suggest that you up the dose slowly to see what effect this has.  Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use.

Let us know how you get on.

purplebee

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 01:26:31 PM »

Thank you ladies! I will go up one notch at a time and se what happens.. definitely noticed dryness in my ears and scalp too.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 02:05:18 PM »

Oh yep, deep in the ears - we calls it 'spaniel ear' in this house  ;D

Katherine

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 03:33:57 PM »

Oh yes I never thought of all that. My skin has generally, externally and internally, become drier as my oestrogen falls. My face cream feels a bit like lard these days but it does the trick! I put it as close to my eyeballs as I can as I get dry round the eyes too. I had almost forgot that I was drier as I use so much grease these days ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »

Vaselline lip sticks are good for applying near the eyes ;-).

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:03:17 PM »

Try Viscotears gel drops for your eyes, especially at night. I used to wake up in the night and it felt like my eyelids had stuck to my eyeballs  ::)

Katherine

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 05:14:06 PM »

Thanks ladies, all useful to know!  :)

purplebee

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 05:54:08 PM »

Thank you all so much for the excellent info! I've just spoken to my GP and he is going to runa bank of blood tests as well. I will let you know what happens ...

Ana21

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 07:05:04 PM »

Hi purplebee!

Dry eye is a common problem at this stage of life.  I have evaporative dry eye due to a deficient tear film lipid layer, which increases tear evaporation.  The meibomian glands are the sebaceous glands on the eyelids responsible for producing the oil component of tears that prevents evaporation.  Androgens regulate meibomian gland function and androgen deficiency may lead to meibomian gland dysfunction. 

It could be, for this reason, that some studies suggest that women who use HRT, particularly estrogen alone, are at increased risk of dry eye.  The clinical research is mixed.  It remains controversial whether dry eye is caused by estrogen excess or deficiency, androgen deficiency, or estrogen and androgen imbalance.

The women who are taking testosterone may be able to comment on whether it has improved their dry eye.

Drops are a quick fix.  I've used many different types of eye drops/gels/ointments and Thealoz Duo works best for me.  It's preservative-free and contains hyaluronic acid and trehalose.

Another option is a Bruder moist heat eye compress or similar mask. You heat it briefly in the microwave and it allows your natural oils to lubricate your eyes.  It's used daily.  It works well, but I had to stop using it because hormone therapy triggered melasma and the melasma was aggravated by the heat from the mask.  Some people make their own mask using a nylon stocking or a cloth bag filled with rice and similarly microwaved.  Be careful not to overheat. 

A 2008 study determined that warm compresses applied to the eyelid must maintain a consistent 45C (113F) in order for the therapeutic heat to reach the oil glands.  The heat source can be applied safely against the external eyelid skin without risk of thermal injury for the duration of a treatment.  The heat needs to be applied for a minimum of 4 minutes in order for the heat to pass through anatomical barriers (skin, fat, etc.) that naturally shield the glands.

Do not massage your lids during or immedately after applying the warm compress, because the cornea is more susceptible to warpage when heated.

One of my doctors prefers to use a towel over his eyes while taking a hot shower.  He finds it effective and more convenient.

Good to hear you've scheduled an appt.  Keep us posted.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 07:24:25 PM »

Some breeds of dog have dry eye: it has a long name beginning with a "K" which Vets can roll off their tongues with no problem  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »

Could it be Sjogrens Syndrome? This is an auto immune disorder which causes dry eyes and skin plus fatigue. I guess this will show up on blood tests.

Taz x

sophielee

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 06:44:19 AM »

Hi purplebee!

Dry eye is a common problem at this stage of life.  I have evaporative dry eye due to a deficient tear film lipid layer, which increases tear evaporation.  The meibomian glands are the sebaceous glands on the eyelids responsible for producing the oil component of tears that prevents evaporation.  Androgens regulate meibomian gland function and androgen deficiency may lead to meibomian gland dysfunction. 

It could be, for this reason, that some studies suggest that women who use HRT, particularly estrogen alone, are at increased risk of dry eye.  The clinical research is mixed.  It remains controversial whether dry eye is caused by estrogen excess or deficiency, androgen deficiency, or estrogen and androgen imbalance.

The women who are taking testosterone may be able to comment on whether it has improved their dry eye.

Drops are a quick fix.  I've used many different types of eye drops/gels/ointments and Thealoz Duo works best for me.  It's preservative-free and contains hyaluronic acid and trehalose.

Hi Ana21

I also suffer from dry eye. Its quite uncomfortable.  Do you use anything else besides Thealoz Duo? 

I've lived with the condition for a couple of years now and I find it quite limiting as I have to avoid going outside on windy days, wide open spaces, etc in order to avoid aggravating the dryness and having it go from irritated to sore, raw, and painful.

Any coping tips would be much appreciated.